Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Easy question please...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2012, 02:57 AM   #1
KilhavenBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Easy question please...

I usually buy different yeast than WhiteLabs.f Wyeast and dry. I bought a white labs vial and noticed two things. Anyone know the answers please?

1. It is less than half full with the goo at the bottom which looks like light brown clay. This is the yeast. Is it only supposed to be less than half full? Maybe 45% full of the yeast.
2. The rest of the liquid is pretty clear, and obviously seperated. Anyone know what that liquid is?

1 because I want to know I have enough yeast. 2 just because I am curious.

Thank you,
Pete

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 03:15 AM   #2
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilhavenBrew View Post
I usually buy different yeast than WhiteLabs.f Wyeast and dry. I bought a white labs vial and noticed two things. Anyone know the answers please?

1. It is less than half full with the goo at the bottom which looks like light brown clay. This is the yeast. Is it only supposed to be less than half full? Maybe 45% full of the yeast.
2. The rest of the liquid is pretty clear, and obviously seperated. Anyone know what that liquid is?

1 because I want to know I have enough yeast. 2 just because I am curious.

Thank you,
Pete
The amount of yeast you need depends on the OG of your beer and the age of that yeast. You likely need a starter. The "goo" in the bottom is the yeast, the rest is just wort. When you are ready to use, shake to resuspend the yeast, wait a few minutes and then pitch (probably into a starter).

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 02-24-2012, 03:25 AM   #3
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The 'clay goo' is the yeast. When it is packaged they put it in some liquid - distilled water, or something. I do know that it is ok to put into the beer. If you could see inside the slap pack from wyeast you'd see about the same sort of stuff, liquid, clay goo and the nutrient pellet.

1 vial is ok for a standard 1.040-1.050 pitch although www.mrmalty.com has a calculator for pitch rates.

And yes the 1/2 full of yeast is how white lab vials look, a good shake and it all goes back into suspsension.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:52 PM   #4
KilhavenBrew
Recipes 

Thanks guys. Just making sure half a vial of Goo is what they sold me and not a full vial that was half used.

I appreciate the replies.

Quick Reply