HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > EAST COAST YEAST suggestions: ECY14 & ECY19

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2012, 02:13 AM   #1
ffaoe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default EAST COAST YEAST suggestions: ECY14 & ECY19

I am looking for suggestions of what to brew with two jars of East Coast Yeast I picked up last month. I was lucky enough to pick up a jar of ECY14 (saison - single strain) and a jar of ECY19 (brett c). I am going to be having a carboy open up this week and I will be picking up another one sometime this week as well. I have two or three ideas in mind, but am looking for some creative help.
thanks
-tom

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2012, 02:41 AM   #2
stubbornman
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 67

The Saison is Brassiere (I think?) and its awesome. So make a Saison? At a month old I'd make a starter.

The Brett C could be used in a 100% Brett Pale ; it's kinda fruity as a primary strain. Again, big starter.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:50 PM   #3
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I'm new to the Saison style and I don't drink belgian beer. I am not a fan of that funk. So I wnated to keep it simple. I happened to have access to a fresh-off-the-truck pitch of ECA Saison Brasserie in July. So I brewed 5 gallons in July and then repitched another 5 gallons on some of the dregs from the first. The first has been bottled for 3 weeks and has a super strong lemony citrus character with a bit of Belgian 'funk' in the background. I started it at 70 and ramped it up to 80 over 7 days then let it sit at 80 for 2 more weeks. I suggest crash cooling after that, the yeast doesn't compact all that well. That first brew was had an OG of 1.060 using 100% Pilsen malt, some sugar, and 2 ounces EKG during the boil. I think it finished out at 1.010. The second version was an extract brew of the first with Pilsen extract plus sugar at OG 1.062 with the same 2 ounces of EKG. The second batch needs to be bottled (like tonight) but it finished at 1.003. I haven't taste tested it. Good luck. ECY yeasts are beasts!

N_G
It could be worse.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:40 PM   #4
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Careful with the abbreviations there. "Brett C" usually refers to Brettanomyces claussenii. ECY19 is Brettanomyces custersianus.

From what I've read B. claussenii has a pretty mild flavor profile while B. custersianus has a pretty strong fruitiness.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:24 AM   #5
ffaoe
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Thanks for the feedback. Im not sure what I am going to do with the ECY14 yet, maybe a dark saison. The ECY19 I am going to do the 100% brett pale ale. I havn't been able to find much about the brett cust. as far as a flavor profile goes. Thats why I think I am just going to keep it simple and see what kind of flavors come out.

Quick Reply