New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Dunkelweizen....ugh!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 03:15 PM   #21
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1339 Times on 1055 Posts
Likes Given: 2334

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpeel View Post
Why that just happens to be the perfect flavor profile for my next lambic! Yum!
Thought I was the only one! My "Nasty Old Goat" Lambic was unique to say the least!

- a very......very.....druck Zul'jin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #22
StusBrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

cheezydemon3 and ghpeel, thanks. I realize that. I've brewed enough to realize that the wort, before bottling and carbonating, is way different. The whole thread was to get an affirmation on the whole banana thing going away! My only concern is: Growing up, I was a very picky eater. Bananas and peanut butter and honey sandwiches. Now a father of 2 and married and career, my taste buds have grown along with it. But I use to scarf down bananas and I can't stand even peeling a banana for my daughter.

But thanks for "Calming" me though. Took gravity reading yesterday and it hasn't changed since Tuesday,11/27. So going to bottle it today.

The reason for the "freakin'" was I want to harvest this yeast strain, and next make a roggenbier, then possibly a weizenbock after that. So, it'll also give me the opportunity to play with the yeast strain.

By the way, what's the limit of # of volumes for glass 12 oz. bottles?? Seems to me not higher than 4 volumes or is it 3 volumes??

Old 12-02-2012, 11:08 PM   #23
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

You have my complete confidence. Experience is what makes a great brewer, and you just gained a good bit!

The fact that you brewed a dunkelweisen, but deemed the sample too fruity is awesome!!

High standards also make great brewer. Just be realistic

Old 12-03-2012, 02:54 PM   #24
jerrodm
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 87 Posts

I wouldn't go too far above 3 volumes. If you've got thicker (e.g. Grolsch) bottles you might be able to go a bit higher.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:07 AM   #25
StusBrew
Recipes 

Yeah. Went to TastyBrew.com to look at styles and bottle priming. They went to lik 3.6 volumes - over 4 and was trying to remember if regular 12 oz. limit were 3 volumes. I went 3 volumes. Thanks for all the input. Always had confidence in what I've brewed and went for it in the dunkelweizen without tasting a representative of the style to gauge how I did. I'm now thinking the one I tried at Fish Brewing in Olympia was brewed with a different yeast strain.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:38 PM   #26
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Why do you want to overcarb it?

Old 12-09-2012, 02:52 PM   #27
StusBrew
Recipes 

Overcarb it? I would think 3 volumes would not overcarb anything. Besides, these wheat beer styles are typically (historically ??) light-bodied, refreshing, "spritzy" or whatever. Besides, I have a lot of interest in brewing different styles. It's crazy and want to do it al right now, but I do need to talk to my wife, show her attention, etc. and oh yeah the kids.
But anyway, just trying to brew sltyles I've tried and liked to get an idea of what goes into that beer.
If I had strong enough bottles, I'd probably go 3.5 volumes. But we'll see with the 3 volumes.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #28
StusBrew
Recipes 

So I was curious about what ghpeel stated earlier on page 1 of this thread. About a 15-20 minute rest at 113 degrees F. ghpeel mentioned that and I then remembered some podcast or article I saw, jeez, can't remembe where, but I vaguely remember hearing about some kind of rest for wheat beers to ge a certain flavor. So i did a search to appease myself. It's an acid, ferulic acid derivative. Amount of acid versus unmalted wheat, malted wheat and then malted barley, etc. The paper I saw, and fogive me, some years out of college and lowly bio. tech. who doesn't have to worry about his sources, I didn't record auther, or journal or any of the proper citations. Anyway, looks like not so much during mash, and they were trying to determine if it was the boil that released the derivative of this acid or if it was during fermentation. I was fascinated. More reason I want to do the roggenbier next and this time keep fermentationfrom climbing above 60. Basement is consistent 60 degrees F. Though on weekends when make a fire down there to heat house, it'll get 72 or so. But again probably not similar. Recipe I have for roggenbier doesn't involve wheat so... help me, can't stop!!!!

Old 12-10-2012, 03:34 AM   #29
ghpeel
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

Yeah, "ferulic acid" rest is the term. The 112F mash temp increases the production of this acid, and in turn the yeast turn ferulic acid into a compound called "4 vinyl-guaiacol" (or "4vg" for short). You have some ferulic acid in the mash regardless of the temp, but that rest greatly increases it.

My best Hefeweizen was 50/50 wheat/light Munich malt, with a 15min rest at 113F before getting bumped up the the normal sach. rest. Fermented kinda cool (63-64F) with WLP380 and it was all clove, no banana, but not so much clove that it was off-putting. Very tasty brew. Tasted the most like a Weihenstephaner Hefe of the ones I've done.

=============================================

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale

Old 12-11-2012, 01:33 AM   #30
StusBrew
Recipes 

Ahhh, thanks. Glad I did a dunkelweizen, because after brewed my first, I want to go back and try to se that acid rest. See what happens. I have a problem with trying beers, and then wanting to brew that representative style. We'll see what later this year brings. Probably end up doing it again just to be able to compare the 1st dunkelweizen and on with the rest. Thanks.

Quick Reply