Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Dunkelweizen....ugh!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 12:37 AM   #11
surtur
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

so what kind of room (ambient) temperature should a person aim for to get it to ferment in this ideal range i can never seem to get the room temp right because everyday the fermentation temps jump so much even at a steady room temp.
and i can't seem to hit the perfect temps.
i am going to try a water filled container with a fish tank heater to try and keep a more consistent temp. ( i am in north canada so temps are a lower here.)

i also read someone on here found that the temps of the water and the temps of the beer where relative to within a degree or so. as opposed to the 10 or so degree difference of the ambient air and the fermentation temps?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 09:46 PM   #12
ghpeel
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yep most folks use a water bath to stabilize the temps of the beer. I've used an aquarium heater before, but since I'm in Florida, I rarely have to pull that one out

=============================================

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale

Old 11-27-2012, 10:13 PM   #13
LKABrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I brewed a Dunkelweizen a couple of weeks ago with the same yeast. I kept the beer temp at 64 for four days then ramped it up 1 or 2 degrees a day until 70. I got a very balanced banana and clove profile, with nothing over the top. The flavor profile of the beer is mostly set in the first 72 hours of fermentation, so warming it up after 4+ days should not have caused a problem.
My guess is that you had a very vigorous fermentation in a 60-62 ambient space, which could mean that the beer temperature was at 70+.

For homebrew supplies and equipment in Fredericksburg, VA go to thebrewshop.biz.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:46 PM   #14
jerrodm
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 87 Posts

I agree with LKA. Also, with this yeast I find that it's good to pitch below the eventual temp and bring it up slowly, rather than pitching right at temp. The yeast take a little longer to kick into action, but I've never had an issue with a lagged start allowing infection as people claim.

The advantage of starting cool is that the yeast don't get supercharged out of the gate, which is what causes the production of all those strongly fruity esters. I pitch my yeast at 60F, then put the fermenter in my refrigerator set to 64F for 12 hours. After that I turn the refrigerator down to between 60F and 62F, depending on whether or not there's visible yeast activity. Once full fermentation sets in I turn it down to 60F. That way the yeast start out with a nice cool temp, do the main sugar conversion without creating a lot of fruitiness, and then I warm slowly after 72 hours or so, to allow some ester production on the back end. This gives me a nice even flavor profile.

With this method my yeast don't hit top gear until 24-36 hours after pitching, but it doesn't bother me, and I've really enjoyed the results I've produced with it.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #15
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1647 Times on 1238 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

12 days.......while interestingly titled and eloquently worded, this is just another "IS MY BEER RUINED???" thread.

My advice? Quit tasting samples. NOTHING godd can come of it. Carbonation changes beer SO much. So does another 2 weeks of fermentation.

Nicely done thread, but it is screaming NOOB at me.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:43 AM   #16
StusBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That's great cheezydemon3. NOOB or whatever. Maybe it is. But in my mind, I was just thinking "give it time, fermentation is still happening. 1st time with this yeast."

Thanks for all the help everybody though. It was encouraging (minus the NOOB part). Did another check of gravity last night (Tuesday). Gravity dropped some more. Dramatically less activity. Probably check it again on Saturday or Sunday. TASTED the sample after reading. Still got the banana aroma, but much milder. There was banana, but immediately got some clove as well. Tasted pretty decent, and can't wait to get it carbonated and in bottles.

Going to to roggenbier next with same yeast. It's pretty cool seing the profile change throughout the process. Still get a kick.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:57 AM   #17
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Look, next time you sample a 12 day old wort, save us the trouble and just post "Is my beer ruined????"

I like your style and enthusiasm, but you brewed one of the most unique brews possible (which I admire) but tasted it 12 days in and post a thread about it not tasting right, lol.
All I have learned from sampling green beer is not to.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:15 PM   #18
ghpeel
Recipes 

Another reason cheezydemon3 is right is that for quite a few yeast strains (wheat beers and lagers especially), you can get some nasty sulfur while the beer is green. This flavor drops out totally with some age, but it can be very discouraging to folks not prepared for this.

For the ultimate sulfur bomb, brew a straight cider and stick your head in the bucket after 5 days. PWHEW! Rhino farts!

Old 11-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #19
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpeel View Post
Another reason cheezydemon3 is right is that for quite a few yeast strains (wheat beers and lagers especially), you can get some nasty sulfur while the beer is green. This flavor drops out totally with some age, but it can be very discouraging to folks not prepared for this.

For the ultimate sulfur bomb, brew a straight cider and stick your head in the bucket after 5 days. PWHEW! Rhino farts!
Thank you. I am not mad, just want all brewers to realize that many beers taste like dirty goat water after 12 days and end up amazingly good.

If we all posted threads at 12 days worrying about the taste, this site would be choked with them.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:40 PM   #20
ghpeel
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post
...that many beers taste like dirty goat water ...
Why that just happens to be the perfect flavor profile for my next lambic! Yum!

Quick Reply