Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Dumb noob mistake?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 12:06 AM   #1
dickproenneke
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Dumb noob mistake?

I rehydrated a pack of notty in 98F water and let er sit for about 20mins. Then I totally spaced and didn't adjust the yeast temp to my wort temp. I'm guessing that the yeast was maybe 20F warmer than my wort when I pitched. 24hrs later i have no sign of fermentation. How bad did I screw this up?

bottled: Sim'arillo IPA, Stout, BM's Centennial Blonde, Belgian Blonde, Citra'rillo APA, Saison, Mt. Hood Blonde

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 12:12 AM   #2
amandley
Recipes 

I am definitely not an expert BUT the first prob I see is that the water was 98*. Everything I have seen so far says to rehydrate in 70-80* water.
Also, getting the yeast down to wort temp provides less "shock" to the yeast but as long as the yeast is still alive (not rehydrated at too high a temp) it should start acting eventually, just may take awhile if they get a little shock from the temp difference. According to what I can find, yeast doesn't get critically injured until *120, you may get some off flavors from 100 but not sure.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:16 AM   #3
mcbaumannerb
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 33 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3861 Times on 2123 Posts
Likes Given: 13088

Yeah the rehydrating temp is way high for this yeast. It is listed at 57-70 so 98 is definitely pushing it. There is a chance you could still be okay, give it another day and if there is still no activity you might pitch another packet.

Untappd: mcbaumannerb BEEr

Facebook: BEEr

"Oh mother, tell your children; not to do what I have done."

Old 01-25-2013, 12:24 AM   #4
dickproenneke
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbaumannerb
Yeah the rehydrating temp is way high for this yeast. It is listed at 57-70 so 98 is definitely pushing it. There is a chance you could still be okay, give it another day and if there is still no activity you might pitch another packet.
No no I'm sorry maybe I wasn't clear with my problem... My wort was 60F and my rehydrated yeast was approx 80F. I didn't realize that I was supposed to add chilled wort to the rehydrated yeast to lower the yeast temp prior to pitching. Now I'm wondering if my yeast was too hot when I pitched. I hope that makes sense
bottled: Sim'arillo IPA, Stout, BM's Centennial Blonde, Belgian Blonde, Citra'rillo APA, Saison, Mt. Hood Blonde

Old 01-25-2013, 12:29 AM   #5
mcbaumannerb
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 33 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3861 Times on 2123 Posts
Likes Given: 13088

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickproenneke View Post
No no I'm sorry maybe I wasn't clear with my problem... My wort was 60F and my rehydrated yeast was approx 80F. I didn't realize that I was supposed to add chilled wort to the rehydrated yeast to lower the yeast temp prior to pitching. Now I'm wondering if my yeast was too hot when I pitched. I hope that makes sense
If the yeast was 80 then you should be okay. Notty is plenty happy at 60. But if the rehydrating water was at 98 when you added the yeast that could be a problem.

Untappd: mcbaumannerb BEEr

Facebook: BEEr

"Oh mother, tell your children; not to do what I have done."

Old 01-25-2013, 01:35 AM   #6
dickproenneke
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandley
I am definitely not an expert BUT the first prob I see is that the water was 98*. Everything I have seen so far says to rehydrate in 70-80* water.
Also, getting the yeast down to wort temp provides less "shock" to the yeast but as long as the yeast is still alive (not rehydrated at too high a temp) it should start acting eventually, just may take awhile if they get a little shock from the temp difference. According to what I can find, yeast doesn't get critically injured until *120, you may get some off flavors from 100 but not sure.
That's so strange... The danstar packet specifies 86-95* and Palmer states 95-105* so I thought I was good at 98*.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #7
dickproenneke
Recipes 

I woke up to the sound of an airlock hammering away this morning

Old 01-25-2013, 01:10 PM   #8
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 839 Times on 588 Posts
Likes Given: 110

first thing the yeast does is use up all that oxygen from when you aerated (you DID aerate, right?) to multiply. while this is happening, your airlock will be quiet.

when the oxygen is done, that's when fermentation starts, because that's what fermentation is: respiration in the absence of oxygen. now, instead of multiplying, the magical little critters start to pee alcohol and fart CO2

ain't it great?

our job as brewers is to make yeast happy and from your last post, it sounds like they're letting you know you did a good job. just give them time to do the other things AFTER they're done fermenting.

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

Old 01-25-2013, 02:00 PM   #9
dickproenneke
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrogNerd View Post
first thing the yeast does is use up all that oxygen from when you aerated (you DID aerate, right?) to multiply. while this is happening, your airlock will be quiet.

when the oxygen is done, that's when fermentation starts, because that's what fermentation is: respiration in the absence of oxygen. now, instead of multiplying, the magical little critters start to pee alcohol and fart CO2

ain't it great?

our job as brewers is to make yeast happy and from your last post, it sounds like they're letting you know you did a good job. just give them time to do the other things AFTER they're done fermenting.
Hey thanks GN! I started to worry b/c I hear stories from folks that claim they get activity after 4hrs, 6hrs, 12hrs, with notty... I did aerate very well.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:36 PM   #10
pnj
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts

I personally don't re hydrate my notty anymore. I just cool my wort and dump the packet in. Works like a charm.

YMMV...

Quick Reply