Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Dual Probe Temp Controller?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #1
OatStraw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Dual Probe Temp Controller?

I am purchasing a chest freezer to do my fermentation in and have had a couple situations in the past (and right now) where I will be fermenting an Ale and Lager at the same time. I would like to be able to do both in the same freezer.

Is there a temperature controller that has a dual probe? The idea would be to have one prob on the lager controlling the freezer and have another probe connected to the Ale's carboy which would control a Ferm Belt or Heat Pad connected to the ale. I could even put a piece of insulating foam between the fermenters to make sure heat from the Ale doesn't carry over to the lager.

Is there a better way to do this? Would I need 2 separate temperature controllers?

Kegged:
OatStraw Dog Tooth Stout; OatStraw Belgian Snow; OatStraw Kitchen Sink; OatStraw Spice Noel; OatStraw Ye Olde Cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 09:48 PM   #2
slarkin712
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 6

There's a whole line made by Love here:
http://www.dwyer-inst.com/Product/Te...sTSS2/Ordering
I have one that controls the 2 sides of a side by side fridge independently. A little expensive, but works perfectly.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:23 PM   #3
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by OatStraw View Post
I am purchasing a chest freezer to do my fermentation in and have had a couple situations in the past (and right now) where I will be fermenting an Ale and Lager at the same time. I would like to be able to do both in the same freezer.

Is there a temperature controller that has a dual probe? The idea would be to have one prob on the lager controlling the freezer and have another probe connected to the Ale's carboy which would control a Ferm Belt or Heat Pad connected to the ale. I could even put a piece of insulating foam between the fermenters to make sure heat from the Ale doesn't carry over to the lager.

Is there a better way to do this? Would I need 2 separate temperature controllers?
I just use 2 seperate STC-1000 temp controls to do exactly this.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 10-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #4
OatStraw
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibrewer View Post
I just use 2 seperate STC-1000 temp controls to do exactly this.
Which wiring tutorial, if any, did you use? I've seen a couple different techniques for those controllers.

Kegged:
OatStraw Dog Tooth Stout; OatStraw Belgian Snow; OatStraw Kitchen Sink; OatStraw Spice Noel; OatStraw Ye Olde Cider

Quick Reply