Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Dryest Ale in History?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2014, 03:02 PM   #1
typebrad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 185
Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Dryest Ale in History?

I've had 5.5 gallons of a 1.055 American Pale Ale in the chest cooler for 3 weeks now. Pitched a 2-liter Wyeast 1056 starter. Dry hopping schedule ends tomorrow, then cold crash.

I've never gone 3 weeks with my fermentation (including dry hop week) unless I've had to re-pitch. And with it being a fairly low gravity beer, I definitely did not have to do that.

Last sample (a week ago) was 1.012–good. I hate wasting so much beer with samples. I'll take a final (obviously).

So far, the samples have had a nice finish, but will this last week push it too far, leaning on super-dry?

How long have you guys had a batch fermenting for, including dry hop time? Is 3 weeks a good average?

I have no patience, but I don't like a sweet beer either, so I don't mind letting the yeast do it's work if it's going to take a while longer.

I've had big beers that were just too sweet. Obviously didn't let it go long enough, or I didn't pitch enough yeast to begin with.


/Will always still be figuring it out/

__________________
typebrad is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2014, 04:50 PM   #2
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
 
Braufessor's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NE Iowa, Iowa
Posts: 1,901
Liked 439 Times on 312 Posts
Likes Given: 362

Default

Letting it sit in the fermenter from week 2 to week 3 will not necessarily change the gravity at all.... in fact, I would be somewhat surprised if it did. Generally, yeast are done with the vast majority of their work (on an average ale) by day 7-10. So, letting them sit there a third week is unlikely to do much in the way of gravity.
I think it is good to let the beer go 10-14 days total for sure. this ensures a good fermentation, lets the yeast finish, lets the yeast continue to clean up off flavors that may still be in the beer, etc. Going 3 weeks will not hurt it, and if you are dry hopping at day 14 or something, you want a few days for the dry hops to do their job and also fall out. So, 3 weeks is fine. However, most average beers don't necessarily "need" 3 weeks. Most average beers probably benefit from 2 weeks though (in my experience).

__________________
Kegged/Serving: Porter, Session IPA, Dark Mild, Double Citra IPA, Oatmeal Amber Ale, Bo-Pils, Oktoberfest, American Brown Ale
Bottled
: Barley Wine, Sour Belgian Golden on Cherries, Sour Cherry Stout
Primary: Heady Topper Clone, Session IPA, Porter, Plain ol American Ale
Secondary/Lagering:
Future Brews: Heady Topper Clone, Ordinary Bitter, Dortmunder, Pilsner, Scottish 70, More...... More....... Beer.......
Braufessor is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2014, 06:12 PM   #3
duboman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Glenview, IL
Posts: 6,334
Liked 502 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braufessor View Post
Letting it sit in the fermenter from week 2 to week 3 will not necessarily change the gravity at all.... in fact, I would be somewhat surprised if it did. Generally, yeast are done with the vast majority of their work (on an average ale) by day 7-10. So, letting them sit there a third week is unlikely to do much in the way of gravity.

I think it is good to let the beer go 10-14 days total for sure. this ensures a good fermentation, lets the yeast finish, lets the yeast continue to clean up off flavors that may still be in the beer, etc. Going 3 weeks will not hurt it, and if you are dry hopping at day 14 or something, you want a few days for the dry hops to do their job and also fall out. So, 3 weeks is fine. However, most average beers don't necessarily "need" 3 weeks. Most average beers probably benefit from 2 weeks though (in my experience).

+1
I doubt it will drop any lower as well, 1.012 is a nice spot for an ale


Sent from the Commune
__________________
Nothing Left to do but smile and drink beer.....

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010
duboman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2014, 06:25 PM   #4
ncbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Bern, NC
Posts: 1,023
Liked 68 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default

It sounds like you're trying to adjust your FG by pulling it from the fermenter before it's finished. IMO, it will just continue fermenting after being packaged anyway. And if you bottle, it would overcarb - possibly making bottle bombs.

__________________
ncbrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2014, 10:26 PM   #5
typebrad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 185
Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

No, definitely not trying to pull too early. I've bottled (with some luck) after only 7 days of fermenting.

I took a gravity sample again today and it seems the yeast cleaned up nicely. Taste is wonderful, and gravity didn't change.

I think I'll be going two solid weeks fermenting from now on!


/Will always still be figuring it out/

__________________
typebrad is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2014, 03:35 AM   #6
bbohanon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 145
Liked 24 Times on 17 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbrewer View Post
It sounds like you're trying to adjust your FG by pulling it from the fermenter before it's finished. IMO, it will just continue fermenting after being packaged anyway. And if you bottle, it would overcarb - possibly making bottle bombs.
This is why I moved to a 3-week primary fermentation cycle before thinking or racking to a keg or bottling.
3-weeks gives the beer time to ferment out and the yeast to clean up after itself which is a good thing.
Patience is key with beer along with checking gravity a few days to be sure fermentation is indeed complete.
Bottle bombs or having a keg fermentation happening due to not enough time in primary is not what you want.
__________________
bbohanon is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2014, 03:44 AM   #7
LabRatBrewer
Lost in a Maze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
LabRatBrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Laguna Niguel, CA
Posts: 2,732
Liked 896 Times on 627 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

Default

I love Dry-PAs. I wish I could achieve a nice dry beer just by leaving it sit. Instead I have to use low mash temps, cane sugars, and amylase enzyme to get to where I want. I agree with the previous posters, leaving it 3 weeks should not in itself dry out a beer.

__________________
LabRatBrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2014, 01:50 AM   #8
pdxal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,154
Liked 101 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRatBrewer View Post
I love Dry-PAs. I wish I could achieve a nice dry beer just by leaving it sit. Instead I have to use low mash temps, cane sugars, and amylase enzyme to get to where I want. I agree with the previous posters, leaving it 3 weeks should not in itself dry out a beer.
How dry are you trying to get to have to use amylase? Mashing at 148-150 for 60+ minutes, and 1 pound or less of crystal malt get me down to 1.010 to 1.012 consistently with a dry finish.
__________________
pdxal is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2014, 11:07 PM   #9
LabRatBrewer
Lost in a Maze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
LabRatBrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Laguna Niguel, CA
Posts: 2,732
Liked 896 Times on 627 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxal View Post
How dry are you trying to get to have to use amylase? Mashing at 148-150 for 60+ minutes, and 1 pound or less of crystal malt get me down to 1.010 to 1.012 consistently with a dry finish.
The amylase I don't use all the time, but I do use it most time if I have added adjunts like rice or corn, or if I am using some 6 row. I rarely use any crystal. 1.010 and below make me happy.
__________________
LabRatBrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2014, 04:40 AM   #10
pdxal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,154
Liked 101 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRatBrewer View Post
The amylase I don't use all the time, but I do use it most time if I have added adjunts like rice or corn, or if I am using some 6 row. I rarely use any crystal. 1.010 and below make me happy.
Interesting. I thought rice and corn are "supposed" to ferment out cleanly when you do a cereal mash then add them to the mash, and that 6 row is used with adjuncts specifically because it has so much diastatic power. I guess everyone's experiences are different. Haven't used any of those, so no personal experience. I'll be reluctant to use them now. I like 1.010 and below myself, but get it with a little crystal and low mash temps in a 60-90 minute mash. Thanks for the info
__________________
pdxal is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
modern marvels tonight history chanel history of brewing jonp9576 General Beer Discussion 24 05-04-2012 04:29 PM
History on Tap, Homebrewing contest TV show on History Channel??? WTF? Revvy General Chit Chat 30 01-06-2011 10:58 PM
The End of History RSDickson General Chit Chat 9 12-14-2010 10:19 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS