Dry yeast on top/or stir ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karljrberno

Reaction score
When pitching dry yeast should i stir into wort or just sprinkle it on top of wort and let it work its own way in ?

Either way, as long as it does not clump.

After aerating, I sprinkle it on top, slowly to avoid clumping. Close the bucket, cover the air lock hole, and shake for 30 seconds (like when I aerate).

That's what the package says, sure, but there's no need to rehydrate. KISS: sprinkle on top.

Depends which yeast...Some dry yeasts simply say to sprinkle on top of wort. I follow the instructions and just sprinkle it in.

Last week I used my first package of dry yeast since extract kit brewing. It was some Nottingham and I rehydrated it according to the package instructions because, y'know, why not. It's an easy thing to do in the middle of a brew day and it's what the manufacturer recommends.

If you want to see/taste a difference, split a batch, and add one packet of rehydrated and on packet dry, sprinkled on top. That should answer your question.

I find fermentation goes better (starts quicker and less off flavour) when rehydrated. It's simple to do and will give you a healthier yeast population. It's very little effort so why wouldn't you?

Back