The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Dry yeast for Scotch Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2012, 11:34 PM   #1
Moody_Copperpot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Dry yeast for Scotch Ale

Hey guys,
I'm looking for a good dry yeast to use in a McEwan's AG clone I'm brewing for a friend's dad. I generally go US05 in the IPAs I brew...hell in almost anything I brew. I've never done a scotch ale though, so I don't know what to use. S04 British ale yeast? US05? Help me, help me!

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 12:02 AM   #2
afr0byte
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I'd use US05 or Nottingham. You want something without a lot of esters. Also, you'll want to ferment cool.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:22 AM   #3
Moody_Copperpot
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afr0byte
I'd use US05 or Nottingham. You want something without a lot of esters. Also, you'll want to ferment cool.
Great, thank you for the tip! I don't know much about the style in general, admittedly. I appreciate the info.

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:26 AM   #4
afr0byte
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 48

You're welcome. Also, keep in mind that you'll want more than one pack of yeast for a beer the size of McEwans (see www.yeastcalc.com).

Old 04-06-2012, 02:25 PM   #5
bethebrew
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody_Copperpot View Post
Great, thank you for the tip! I don't know much about the style in general, admittedly. I appreciate the info.
US-05 at 62. And lots of malt.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #6
KraphtBier
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

IF you can ferment cool (60-62) I'd maybe consider using S-04 as it leaves behind a maltier profile than US-05. Otherwise use 05 and adjust grain bill and especially your mash temps up to get more unfermentables for that malty finish.

If God made anything better than beer, apple pie, and women (in that order)...he kept it for himself.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #7
bethebrew
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KraphtBier View Post
IF you can ferment cool (60-62) I'd maybe consider using S-04 as it leaves behind a maltier profile than US-05. Otherwise use 05 and adjust grain bill and especially your mash temps up to get more unfermentables for that malty finish.
I actually did a side by side with the S-04 and the US-05 on a scotch ale recently fermented at 62. In double blind controlled taste tests the US-05 won by a margin of 3 to 1. Sorry.

Kidding both were good. S-04 yes a little more estery maybe what you want maybe not. It was a pretty big scotch ale I called it the Wee Wee Scotch ale it was so Wee.

You are right the US-05 will finish dryer. Probably mash at 156-8 would be interesting.

Quick Reply