New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Dry Yeast Profiles/Descriptions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2009, 01:25 PM   #21
Philsc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Windsor is Fullers!? Why didn't anyone say that before? I love fuller's beers. If I can brew anything like them, I won't ever need to go to the liquor store again. I've been toying with the idea of getting Wyeast 1968, but am still a bit new to brewing to go to liquid yeasts. It's great if I could use a dry yeast instead.

Quote:
Windsor is a very different strain to 1968... at least in it's flocculation.
Oh, okay. Well, I might give it a go anyway.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2009, 03:30 PM   #22
carbon111
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm brewing a Bitter tonight with Windsor to see if the flavor profile and behavior are anything like Wyeast 1968.
It's a shame that it's not a direct equivalent but seemingly none of these dry yeasts really are. Thanks for the solid info Menschmaschine!

The information about Windsor's flocculation is worrisome but I'm willing to give it a try as a friend brewed with it and his beer cleared reasonably well...he did use Irish Moss in the boil though.

I think I'm going to put all the info I'm gathering into a spreadsheet.

Best Regards, James
--
My beer blog: http://brewdujour.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.carbon111.com

Fermenting: Carbon's Grizzly Bear, Young's Special London Ale (clone)

Bottled/Conditioning:Siberian Raven Winter Ale, Cherry Tree Porter, Victoria's Dirty Secret

Drinking: Montgomery Scottish Ale, Thames American Bitter, Crow's Beak Old Ale, Bastet Brown, Carbon's Cascade Ale, Red Silo Honey IPA

Last edited by carbon111; 08-13-2009 at 03:56 PM.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:16 PM   #23
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon111 View Post
The information about Windsor's flocculation is worrisome but I'm willing to give it a try as a friend brewed with it and his beer cleared reasonably well...he did use Irish Moss in the boil though.
Using kettle finings won't affect yeast flocculation/settling (that I know of). Did he cold-crash it? I'm wondering if cold crashing for a few days would produce a somewhat clear beer with Windsor. I heard about it's poor flocculation, so I didn't even take the chance. It was cloudy as hell with yeast at the 3 week primary mark, so I cold-crashed it AND added gelatin. So, I don't know what the beer would be like if I just cold-crashed. It's very clear now though.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 08-13-2009, 05:01 PM   #24
carbon111
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by menschmaschine View Post
Did he cold-crash it? I'm wondering if cold crashing for a few days would produce a somewhat clear beer with Windsor.
I'll ask him if he cold crashed or used any finings. Thanks again.

Best Regards, James
--

Bottled/Conditioning:Siberian Raven Winter Ale, Cherry Tree Porter, Victoria's Dirty Secret

Drinking: Montgomery Scottish Ale, Thames American Bitter, Crow's Beak Old Ale, Bastet Brown, Carbon's Cascade Ale, Red Silo Honey IPA

Old 08-13-2009, 06:19 PM   #25
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 385 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 391

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon111 View Post
I can't find any info on Safale US-05's alcohol tolerance on the Fermentis website or the PDF spec sheet...anybody have a clue?
It's worked great for me in a 12% ABV BW.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 08-14-2009, 06:32 AM   #26
carbon111
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Regarding our discussion of Danstar's Windsor:

I have in front of me a beer my aforementioned friend brewed with Windsor. It's as clear and transparent as you would want and hope a homebrew to be - not cloudy, opaque or even translucent, but a beautiful transparent amber. (EDIT: As drink this, I notice there is just the slightest haze actually...but not bad at all. Better than most of my brews anyway )

Robin says that according to his notes:
The OG was 1.052 on 6/6/09 - 5.5 gallons pitched with 11 grams Windsor
The SG was 1.020 on 6/20/09 - racked to secondary for dry hopping
The FG was 1.010 on 7/7/09

This was not cold crashed nor were any finings used at all. The only thing used to help clear was a whirlfloc tablet during the boil. My guess is that his racking to secondary may have helped clear this quite a bit.

His only complaint was that Windsor was a very slow worker.

I'm doing a Bittter in the next couple of days and will follow its behavior very closely.

Best Regards, James
--

Last edited by carbon111; 08-14-2009 at 07:02 AM.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:25 AM   #27
yeoldebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Does anyone know of a link to side by side comparisons between T-58 and liquid strains for making a Belgian?

My airlock passes gas.

Last edited by yeoldebrewer; 08-14-2009 at 10:31 AM.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:23 PM   #28
Philsc
Recipes 

By the way, Carbon111, this is a great project and an invaluable resource for those of us that do not use liquid yeasts. Thanks for your hard work.

I'll be interested to know what information the side by side comparison of 1968 and windsor yields. I've been thinking of doing my own comparison. That's a way in the future as I'd have to get small fermenters to split a batch. If it goes ahead I'll be sure to post here and contribute to the body of knowledge.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:02 PM   #29
delboy

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Unfortunately windsor is not the dry equivalant of fullers in fact they differ quite a lot, windsor is more fruity and is rubbish at flocculating, fullers yeast is an incredible flocculater and produces quite a lot of diacety which is a must for producing the malt/toffee profile of fullers beers.

I know diacetyl seems to be a dirty word around here (palmers influence i think) but in some english ales its highly desirable.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:19 PM   #30
carbon111
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by delboy View Post
Unfortunately windsor is not the dry equivalant of fullers in fact they differ quite a lot, windsor is more fruity and is rubbish at flocculating, fullers yeast is an incredible flocculater and produces quite a lot of diacety which is a must for producing the malt/toffee profile of fullers beers.

I know diacetyl seems to be a dirty word around here (palmers influence i think) but in some english ales its highly desirable.
Your points are very well-taken. The flocculation issue was brought up before and, despite Windsor's shortcomings, I know for a fact you can make a very clear beer with Windsor.

I agree that there is not a one-to-one corespondance between Windsor and Fullers but I find there are some similarities. I want to explore this more deeply but I'm certainly willing to be completely wrong. There's just not a lot of dry choices...

I think I'll split my next Bitter into two 3-gallon fermenters and pitch both yeasts just to see if there really is any correlation. If there's none at all, so be it...I'm just trying to learn

Regardless, I'll post my dry yeast spreadsheet once I fill in a few more bits of information, or maybe I'll just package it as a single-page, printable PDF. There's just not a lot of dry choices and I just want a simple reference chart I can use and share with others...if they find it useful.

Best Regards, James
--

Last edited by carbon111; 08-14-2009 at 03:21 PM.

Quick Reply