Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > is the dry yeast just as good as wyeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2012, 08:08 PM   #1
TEarley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default is the dry yeast just as good as wyeast?

hey felllas, ive been brewing for a few weeks, i'm my forth brew in. i've always used wyaest. the nearest brew shop is 30 min away, but i got a few packets of dry muntons yeast from the kits i got online, i wanted to make my latest ale from the dry yeast i had, so i guess my question is does this regular muntons dry yeast compare to a matched up wyeast as far as alcohol and flavor are concerned?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2012, 09:04 PM   #2
Natethebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

WYeasy and White Labs seem to have more specific strains of yeast, and the slam pack with the nutrient inside are pretty good.
Honestly, I have made good beer with both dry and liquid yeast
I have made good beer making a starter and just sprinkling the dry yeast on the wort
and I have made good beer harvesting yeast from a just emptied primary.
I think it's all a matter of opinion.
What kind of yeast do you have and what kind of ale were you planning.
Maybe scraping some of the wyeast from your primary and reusing it would be a fair compromise.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4784 Times on 3479 Posts
Likes Given: 956

Munton's is poor quality yeast, and isn't recommended for all-malt beers. Munton's Gold may be marginally better. Coopers is also not a great yeast, in my opinion, with a weird woody flavor that is pretty bad. I'd toss any Cooper's or Munton's packages and buy a good quality yeast.

As far as quality dry yeast, try Danstar products (nottingham, Munich (for wheat beer) or Safale products (S05 or S04).

If you're making English beers, try S04. For American style ales, S05 is awesome.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:14 PM   #4
basilchef
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

dry yeasts are far better then they used to be and still make a great beer, only downside is you cant make a starter from them. Just started making starters for my beer myself and my last several batches have been way better and faster.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:19 PM   #5
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 649

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilchef View Post
dry yeasts are far better then they used to be and still make a great beer, only downside is you cant make a starter from them. Just started making starters for my beer myself and my last several batches have been way better and faster.
Sure you can make a starter for dry yeast. I'm not sure why you would, but you can. There should be more than enough yeast cells in a packet of dry yeast to make most gravity beers. Like stated above. Dry yeast have their place. But, I agree with Yooper....not a big fan of the Mutons or Coopers yeast. But Fermentis and Danstar make some really useful yeast. I use a LOT of 05. Love that stuff.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:31 PM   #6
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Probably 75% of my beers are fermented with US-05 or S-04. I also use Nottingham on a couple of my recipes. I always rehydrate my dry yeast and only use liquid yeast if I need a strain for a beer that isn't right for one of those three. I haven't heard great things about Muntons. I've use Coopers. It wouldn't be my first choice, but, it works. It does produce a sort of "unique" flavor, as Yooper mentioned. I would try to find one of the other dry yeasts and only use it as a last resort.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 07-01-2012, 11:10 PM   #7
TimpanogosSlim
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 5

There's some debate over whether there is a commercially available dry lager yeast that is really good & clean. That and you don't really see dry kolsch yeast, or dry trappist yeast. wyeast and white labs are about variety as far as I'm concerned. For most ales, I'll go with dry.

As far as Munton's is concerned, I agree. hate it. never again.

But I've had good luck with other dry yeasts, especially nottingham.

Oh, and add me to the list of people who say it's wise to have some dry yeast in the fridge just in case. packet of notty, packet of s-05, maybe some ec-1118 for stuck ferments. Anything else you might use. Just in case you wind up on brew day with a dead liquid yeast.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:24 PM   #8
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Coopers and Muntons yeast packs are great when tossed into the wort boil. The good yeast will eat their remains and give you great beer.

I only use liquid yeast for my beers (Wyeast so far but might use wome White Labs soonish). I use Lalvin strains for my meads. I select the yeast strain but what I want and what it will give me. Easily figured out with Wyeast strains.

I do make starters for my beers but not my meads. It really helps to have at least close to the yeast cell count needed for the batch OG and size.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine
beertroll Likes This 
Old 07-02-2012, 12:19 AM   #9
corax
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimpanogosSlim View Post
you don't really see dry kolsch yeast
I think it's officially an alt yeast, but K-97 is fantastic for Kölsch. Getting harder to find, though.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:34 AM   #10
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Munton's is poor quality yeast, and isn't recommended for all-malt beers. Munton's Gold may be marginally better. Coopers is also not a great yeast, in my opinion, with a weird woody flavor that is pretty bad. I'd toss any Cooper's or Munton's packages and buy a good quality yeast.

As far as quality dry yeast, try Danstar products (nottingham, Munich (for wheat beer) or Safale products (S05 or S04).

If you're making English beers, try S04. For American style ales, S05 is awesome.
I agree completely. I have to say that I make most of my beers with dry yeast, but when a style calls for a specific yeast, I'll make sure to make a starter with the wyeast pack.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Quick Reply