*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Dry Yeast to help carbonate a high alc content Belgian

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2010, 05:13 AM   #1
Sun Devil
-
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Dry Yeast to help carbonate a high alc content Belgian

I keg the majority of my beers and force carbonate but want to bottle a few beers from a high alc content Belgian (~11.5%). I was going to add a few grains of dry yeast to each bottle to ensure the bottles carbonated after transferring out of secondary. Any suggestions on a good strain to choose from? The primary strain was WLP500.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2010, 01:00 PM   #2
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

I think some brewers use a lager strain. But, I think us-05 would work well. Basically you want something neutral that won't make a big mess in the bottles. The lager yeast can be dusty and leave less sediment. US-05 works similar.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:04 PM   #3
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 16

At 11.5%, you are going to have a rough time getting carbonation. I'd suggest top-cropping an actively fermenting beer and using the kraeusen to do the bottle conditioning (or you could simply make a starter, shake it up and dose with a pipette). If you don't want to mess with this tedious process, I'd go with champagne yeast.

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 12-02-2010, 06:21 PM   #4
Gibbs
Recipes 

At the winery where I work, we use a bayanus yeast for tough fermentation and restart stuck. It is very high EtOH tolerant called Uvaferm 43 or U-43. I'm new to beer making, so don't know very much about beer yeasts, but for the little caronation that may be required of fermentable sugars, I was wondering if that may work.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:39 PM   #5
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 38

FWIW, I have used Safbrew T-58 on a 9.5% Tripel. I was carbed in a week. I've emailed Wyeast on this issue and they recommended pitching a propagator pack of 1056.

"This song goes out to me because I'm so f*ckin' cool!"~John Reis

Old 12-04-2010, 04:52 AM   #6
Sun Devil
-
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll try washing the yeast out of primary, build a starter, and then add fermenting starter to the bottles via pipet.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:56 AM   #7
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 232

^^^ That seems to be a sound plan. I'd add the yeast to the bottling bucket along with the sugar, though, instead of to each bottle individually.

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Old 12-04-2010, 05:19 AM   #8
nanop
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I bookmarked this PDF from Fermentis' site a while ago... In the conclusion on the last page, they say T-58 and S-33 are good for bottle conditioning. A chart on an earlier page suggests that for 11% ABV, T-58 would be the better choice.

And, like Guld said above... I'd add the yeast to the bottling bucket.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:28 PM   #9
Gibbs
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Devil View Post
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll try washing the yeast out of primary, build a starter, and then add fermenting starter to the bottles via pipet.
No, don't do that, it will be inconsistent. Rack out the beer into a container, make up a yeast starter with a small amount of water to re-hydrate it, and add it to the total batch. Then when you add to the bottles it will be consistent. But, if you don't know exactly how much unfermentable sugars are in the batch, then you risk either too little carbonataion or too much, resulting in many kabooms.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:02 PM   #10
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

The problem with using yeast from the primary is that they will be just as tired as the yeast in suspension. The reason for adding more yeast at bottling time is to get fresh yeast in there that haven't already fermented a big beer. It's better than nothing, but since dry yeast is pretty cheap it might be worth it to buy some t-58.

Quick Reply