Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Dry Yeast FAQ

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2014, 03:18 PM   #21
cheddarhed3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 107

From info gathered from different sources, the SAFALE US-05 strain (all I've used so far in two batches) actually is said to be more effective sprinkled dry and not rehydrated. Obviously I have little experience to draw from but the Wheat Beer that came with my Starter Kit turned out pretty good. Have a Chinook IPA that's still in primary but the verdict is still out. My plan was to brew the same Chinook IPA with liquid yeast and compare. Great thread here though as it gives us noobs some good advice. I know I personally tend to err on the side of caution since I'm simply trying to get the process down and comfortable with the times/temps needed to brew a successful batch. Cheers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2014, 07:50 PM   #22
g-star
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheddarhed3 View Post
From info gathered from different sources, the SAFALE US-05 strain (all I've used so far in two batches) actually is said to be more effective sprinkled dry and not rehydrated.
What are your sources? Anecdotal forum/LHBS chatter, or scientific studies?

Old 01-25-2014, 08:02 PM   #23
boydster
Don't act like you're not impressed.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 706 Times on 489 Posts
Likes Given: 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheddarhed3 View Post
From info gathered from different sources, the SAFALE US-05 strain (all I've used so far in two batches) actually is said to be more effective sprinkled dry and not rehydrated. Obviously I have little experience to draw from but the Wheat Beer that came with my Starter Kit turned out pretty good. Have a Chinook IPA that's still in primary but the verdict is still out. My plan was to brew the same Chinook IPA with liquid yeast and compare. Great thread here though as it gives us noobs some good advice. I know I personally tend to err on the side of caution since I'm simply trying to get the process down and comfortable with the times/temps needed to brew a successful batch. Cheers.
If you look at Sean Terrill's experiments with US-05 linked in the first post, he showed pretty clearly that viability is substantially higher when rehydrated in warm water. More viable cells ferment more effectively than fewer viable cells as far as I can tell (except in cases of extreme overpitching) but if you care to share your sources I would be happy to read.

Check out these cool kits at Know How Brews & Foods!

Big Jim Walker IIPA
Allagash-ishhh White Ale
Happy Hoppy Blonde Ale

Old 01-28-2014, 02:17 PM   #24
Puddlethumper
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 183

Its been quite a while since I used US-05 but it seems to me the last time I did the package instructions simply called for a direct dry pitch into the wort. A visit to their website gives that as an option, but also provides very precise rehydrating instructions:

http://www.fermentis.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/SFA_US05.pdf

Cheddarhead may have simply been reading and trying to follow the instructions on the package.

--------

Beer ----

--- the reason I wake up every afternoon.

------

cheddarhed3 Likes This 
Old 01-28-2014, 04:38 PM   #25
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 638 Times on 474 Posts
Likes Given: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddlethumper View Post
the package instructions simply called for a direct dry pitch into the wort. A visit to their website gives that as an option, but also provides very precise rehydrating instructions
rehydrating is the way to go.

they offer the hassle-free, "just pitch directly into the wort" instructions because they think homebrewers won't use their products if they instruct them to go through the (only slightly) complex process of rehydration. if you look at the commercial literature, yeast manufacturers say that dry yeast *must* be rehydrated. according to Jamil, up to half the cells don't survive being rehydrated in wort. on a homebrew scale that isn't too bad, but on a commercial scale you don't want to waste half of your raw materials. the mrmalty.com pitch rate calculator assumes that dry yeast is rehydrated. double the amount if you're pitching directly.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: sour cherry mead, imperial chocolate stout and its not-so-small beer second runnings, our bruin & a few other sours
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff, and acerglyn.
Up next: harvest ale with homegrown hops

Old 01-30-2014, 01:02 AM   #26
cheddarhed3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Definitely not scientific as I'm new to the "art" of brewing. Following the guide lines on the package, calling customer service at Northern Brewer and just general articles I can find. Like I had mentioned though, I'm still in the experimentation phase and am going to try the same brew 2-3 different ways (dry, rehydrated, liquid) so I can taste the difference (if there is one) for myself. Cheers.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:24 AM   #27
Puddlethumper
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 183

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
rehydrating is the way to go.

they offer the hassle-free, "just pitch directly into the wort" instructions because they think homebrewers won't use their products if they instruct them to go through the (only slightly) complex process of rehydration.
I totally agree that, based on everything I've read to date, rehydrating the yeast is the best procedure. I'm not so sure I accept your analysis of Safale Labs' motivations.

--------

Beer ----

--- the reason I wake up every afternoon.

------

cheddarhed3 Likes This 
Old 01-30-2014, 03:59 AM   #28
boydster
Don't act like you're not impressed.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 706 Times on 489 Posts
Likes Given: 547

While none of us can claim to know what Fermentis' intentions are for certain, we can probably agree they want to make their product as attractive as the liquid alternative. Liquid yeast packs say to pitch without a starter, so you end up pitching 75-100 billion cells most times. Fermentis packs say to sprinkle on wort, resulting in roughly the same amount of live cells. They are at least consistent in giving advice that will work but may not be the most ideal on the packaging.

Check out these cool kits at Know How Brews & Foods!

Big Jim Walker IIPA
Allagash-ishhh White Ale
Happy Hoppy Blonde Ale

Old 01-30-2014, 04:38 AM   #29
cheddarhed3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Well if I've learned one thing from this thread is that I've got ALOT to learn. Cheers and thanks for all of the advice.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:49 PM   #30
BrewmasterBahb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Using Go-Ferm or equivalent products during the rehydration step is a great way to go. I use US-05 a lot and have observed significantly lower lag times when using Go-Ferm.

Quick Reply