Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Dry Yeast Contamination problems?
View Poll Results: Have you seen increased risk of infection in Dry yeast vs. Liquid yeast?
Yes, forget dry yeast! 1 7.14%
No, it is just as safe these days! 13 92.86%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2010, 04:07 PM   #11
greenbirds
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Also, after seeing your photos I thought I would add that those fermenters are notoriously difficult to keep clean. Looks like you have lots of experience, and you probably have a sound cleaning/sanitation process. But those plastic fermenters and their hard-to-reach indentations are really good at harboring nasties, and if they ever get scratched by a racking cane, spoon, etc., forget about it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2010, 04:10 PM   #12
HiGravShawn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbirds View Post
Also, after seeing your photos I thought I would add that those fermenters are notoriously difficult to keep clean. Looks like you have lots of experience, and you probably have a sound cleaning/sanitation process. But those plastic fermenters and their hard-to-reach indentations are really good at harboring nasties, and if they ever get scratched by a racking cane, spoon, etc., forget about it.
This is actually what I truly believe was the issue. I have not really been happy with it a fermentation vessel and will probably decommission it for awhile. I started this poll to address things that could be investigated, without a time machine and going back and watching myself brew it I'll never guess where it got contaminated. I obviously will take extra care in future sanitation, but this is the only loose end to tie up.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:12 PM   #13
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiGravShawn View Post
What has been your experience (notice I say experience, NOT opinion).
To date, zero infections. I'd say I've used 80% dry (mostly Safale) vs. 20% liquid.

I'd also ad that I believe that both forms of yeast have some minute level of contamination but that with proper use those are easily overwhelmed by healthy yeast. I've seen that with my Sourdough yeast cultures and think that the same is going on with beer yeast.

Quick Reply