Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Dry yeast - BRY-97 American West Coast Yeast ??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 03:28 AM   #1
ninkasi2012
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Dry yeast - BRY-97 American West Coast Yeast ??

Has anybody used this dry yeast before?
i used it for the first time. Normally I use S-05 or S-04 and a krausen forms and visible fermentation takes place within 12-18 hours.

When I used this yeast I didn't get any activity for 36 hours! There was absolutely no Krausen forming and thought perhaps the yeast was faulty and almost threw my beer out as a result. now after 3 days it's fermenting like crazy.

I brewed another beer on Sunday, with the same yeast, using a different package and so far after almost 20 hours later the same thing is happening - no activity and no krausen forming.

Anyone have experience with this yeast? I almost always get visible fermentation within 12 hours so this is very new to me. both beers have an OG of 1.050. the first beer i rehydrated it, the second beer I pitched it dry.

Look forward to your thoughts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 01:01 PM   #2
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 397 Times on 323 Posts
Likes Given: 127

I just used it for the first time. I brewed on Sunday and when I came home from work on Monday it was chugging along, so it started in less than 24 hours. I will be interested to see how it turns out.

I hope it turns out good, because it would be nice to have another dry yeast in the mix.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:54 AM   #3
DHUKILL
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Everything you describe has been my experience as well.... It does need a slightly warmer air temp than US05 (3-5 DF). There is no real reason for me to move away from US-05.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:52 PM   #4
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 324

I haven't used it but am very interested. The first big thread on BRY-97 had a lot of people noticing long lag times. The package says it flocculates better than other chico strain yeasts, which would be nice.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 11-27-2012, 09:44 PM   #5
rallenhall
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Trying it for the first time in an amber ale. Rehydrated at 90F for 20 min. and then stirred the yeast into a slurry before pitching. Had krausen forming the next morning and now have 2" of krausen in a 14" open fermenter at 48 hrs.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:15 AM   #6
duckmanco
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I was one of the users on the larger thread about this yeast, and although the lag time was longer than I wanted, and the beer seemed to take longer to come into its prime than say, us05 does, this yeast dropped like a rock inside of 2 weeks or so. And when I say drop, I mean the beer (an amber ale) looked absolutely filtered. I'm gonna give this yeast another shot and see how it does with a massively hoppy beer.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:19 PM   #7
woodsy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Just used this yeast for the first time, and it settled very strangely in the carboy within the first few hours, making the entire carboy look like a 3-layer cake. I didn't see ANY bubbles until a little over 3 days after pitch, when it started with some very fine white bubbles around the rim. Now, a day after (4 total) it looks like any old krausen, chugging away.

I tried not to panic, as I had read this and other threads on BRY-97, but it was certainly strange. I seemed to get the longer end of the timeline that some folks have referred to.

Hoping it drops like a rock, indeed.

Quick Reply