Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Dry yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 09:41 PM   #1
tec-9-7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Dry yeast?

Hello all,

I'm getting back into homebrewing after an extended (~10 year) hiatus. In my previous brewing experience, I basically would have never considered using a dry yeast - I think the shift I made after about 5 batches of beer from dry to liquid when I began brewing back in the mid-90s was the single biggest improvement in my beers - much bigger than the difference between extract and all-grain. In looking through several forums now however, I see quite a few folks using dry yeast. My question is have dry yeasts really improved that much?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 09:45 PM   #2
DirtyOldDuck
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 109

I wasn't brewing 10 years ago , but there are a few very good dry yeasts, at least in my opinion. I like Nottingham and S-05. I use both liquid and dry and have had very good luck with both of these dry yeasts.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:03 PM   #3
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 347 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I know ten years ago (I was brewing then) the big problem with dry yeast was the process gave more chance for the culture to get infected before packaging, so you had a greater chance of a bad fermentation. I've never used dry yeast, except for the first batch that the dry yeast came with the extract kit. The first change I discovered and started doing was using liquid yeasts. There was much more variety. I'm not sure of their quality today because I haven't even owned a pack of dry yeast since then.

"So you say you just brewed your first batch of beer. Welcome to the obsession." --me, to every first time brewer I ever meet.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:10 PM   #4
KeystoneHomebrew
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Dry yeast has come a long way my friend! I remember those days too. I mainly use liquid yeast myself, but switch to dry when doing some big beers and lagers for cost reasons should I not feel like making a starter.

The variety is good, around 20 strains or so. Still not up to the variety of liquid, but most of the popular liquid strains are in dry too. Fear not the dry. Quality wise, it is on the same level as liquid these days, with better shelf stability than liquid to boot!

Got a Question? Always happy to help. Just shoot me a message.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:15 PM   #5
EdMerican
Angry Guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I use exclusively dry yeast and I challenge anyone to tell me my beers are inferior to theirs using liquid. I like fermentis stuff, though I have used nottingham with great result also. I primarily use S04 and S05, but their wheat and belgian yeasts make damn fine brew. I can't find anything wrong with the lager strains either. The w34/70 is a tank and makes a great cal common as well as more traditional lagers, and a pretty good baltic porter too.

Personally I prefer the simplicity of use and storage. I keep a few packs of 4, 5 and 34/70 on hand at all times as I keep stock in ingredients and occasionally have the impromptu brew day. Much easier in my opinion to have a couple house strains when there are less options. If you can control your temp, you can control your yeast and get more characteristic variance from less strains. Cheers

"Hell, If it don't turn out good we'll just distill it and get drunk!" - My dad...

Old 01-25-2013, 10:17 PM   #6
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I have absolutely no issues with using dry yeast. I can brew a helluva lot of styles with S-04, US-05, S-23 and W-34/70.

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

Old 01-25-2013, 10:22 PM   #7
Scooby_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I started brewing 13 years ago and back then I used to use only liquid yeast. Back then there were no good dry yeasts. Today I can use 1 pack of US-o5 and it gets going faster then 2 viles of liquid yeast used to back 13 years ago.
Not all dry yeast is better today, but from my own experience: US-05 (it used to be S-56 back in the days), Nottingham and S-04 are as good if not better then their liquid counterparts nowadays.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:26 PM   #8
Pilgarlic
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 36

US-05 and T-58. I use them both a lot, both cover a lot of territory and I get few complaints. I'll complicate my process only if it gets me better beer. Using a liquid yeast in lieu of one of these doesn't usually fill that bill.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:41 PM   #9
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 83

i can get fresh yeast slurry from my local brewery (Drake's) anytime but i use dry yeast 95% of the time. won 2nd place for an APA in the world beer cup last yr with US-05.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:56 PM   #10
tec-9-7
Recipes 

Wow - I confess, I'm still something of a Doubting Thomas, but I may have to split out some of my next brew and try one of the drys you folks are recommending!

Quick Reply