Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Dry vs Liquid Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #21
KISS Brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Me, too, and I could perceive a difference. A small difference, but the 05 was definitely fruitier.
I know that US-05 fermented low (like 61-62) gives an odd fruity flavor, and I've never tried that with 1056 or 001.

Either way, if you perceived a difference, there probably is one. But it's slight enough so amateurs like me don't always notice

Bottled:
Hoptoberfest IPA, Oktoberfest Ale, Blonde Ale, Scottish Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Edwort's Apfelwein, Janet's Brown Ale, Irish Red Ale, Strawberry Wheat, ESB, Belgian Pale Ale

KISS Brew Homebrewing Blog

Most recent post: Beyond the Pale Ale Recipe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2012, 09:59 PM   #22
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 426 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 660

Quote:
Originally Posted by KISS Brew View Post
I know that US-05 fermented low (like 61-62) gives an odd fruity flavor, and I've never tried that with 1056 or 001.

Either way, if you perceived a difference, there probably is one. But it's slight enough so amateurs like me don't always notice
Agreed. 05 fermented at low temps does give some off (to me) flavors. Fermented at 68 degrees....nothing. Now 04 fermented at anything close to high 60 equals nasty to me. It needs to ferment really low for an ale yeast.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:12 PM   #23
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewKnurd View Post
In looking at the Clayton Cone bit, I'm wondering if one of the key things is: "Anything that inhibits or slows down yeast growth usually causes an increase in ester production: low nutrient, low O2. It has been noted that a drop in available O2 from 8 ppm down to 3 ppm can cause a four fold increase in esters."

Say you have a high pitch rate. Less O2 and nutrients are necessary for the replication phase, because there's just less replication required. Meanwhile, if you have a low pitch rate, more of both are required, and perhaps that makes it more likely that you get into an area where yeast growth slows due to limited O2 or nutrients, thereby causing the increase production of esters?

Just thinking out loud. Will listen to Neva's talk when I'm back home.
That makes a lot of sense to me. I guess that's kinda scary....

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 08-20-2012, 10:22 PM   #24
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I'm lost here. Are any of us convinced that overpitching usually leads to esters? I had thought underpitching stressed the yeast (though now I'm not sure it makes sense that it would...you're just putting them in a larger environment, why should they be stressed?) and thus produced esters.

I tend to lean towards overpitching, sometimes even a whole harvested cake. Can't say I've noticed many issues with esters except one US-05 ferm (repitch) that was cooler and came out with some slight banana aroma/flavor. I also detect banana in Bud Light these days though

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 08-21-2012, 05:34 PM   #25
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
I'm lost here. Are any of us convinced that overpitching usually leads to esters? I had thought underpitching stressed the yeast (though now I'm not sure it makes sense that it would...you're just putting them in a larger environment, why should they be stressed?) and thus produced esters.

I tend to lean towards overpitching, sometimes even a whole harvested cake. Can't say I've noticed many issues with esters except one US-05 ferm (repitch) that was cooler and came out with some slight banana aroma/flavor. I also detect banana in Bud Light these days though
I'm convinced that if you overpitch enough you will increase ester production.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 08-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #26
ILBMF
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Is it my imagination or does the US-05 ferment more vigorously at slightly lower temps than the WLP001?

''Once, I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken'' (Read that somewhere, just loved it. Sorry if I stole it...consider it a compliment)

''I don't allow work during drinking hours''

Quick Reply