Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Dry vs Liquid Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
ILBMF
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Dry vs Liquid Yeast

I'm doing 10 gallon batches of ale and mainly make IPA's and have been using 1 container of White labs WLP001 in a 2000ml stir plate starter. I split the 2000ml starter between two 5.5 gallon carboys and make excellent beer. I recently switched to the Safale US-05 where I use 2 packs per 5.5 gallon carboy (4 packs total) and stopped using the WLP001.

My question is, should I expect the beer to turn out as clean tasting with the dry yeast as opposed to the WLP001? I'd like to hear other thoughts on this subject

''Once, I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken'' (Read that somewhere, just loved it. Sorry if I stole it...consider it a compliment)

''I don't allow work during drinking hours''

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2012, 03:23 PM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 420 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 639

One package of 05 is more than enough for each fermenter. 2 is way over pitching. 05 is the same thing as 001. So your beers will be fine using the dry yeast. I simply love 05 and use it on probably 75% of my brews. If it's an American pale or IPA, it's going to get 05.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
jholen
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Be careful pitching too much yeast - it can actually lead to beer that doesn't develop flavor as you might expect. A portion of that is caused because the yeast when pitched HAVE to grow. If you create an environment where you pitch so much yeast, enough to where the yeast do not have to grow in order to ferment the beer, the flavor won't develop as it normally would.

I'd say just re-hydrate one pack and pitch that per carboy instead of 2 per.

Will a re-hydrated US-05 batch turn out as good as a WLP-001 batch? Hard to say - the flavor will be different. How much? Again, hard to say. Let us know what you think once it's done!

Old 08-18-2012, 04:25 PM   #4
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 420 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 639

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholen View Post
Be careful pitching too much yeast - it can actually lead to beer that doesn't develop flavor as you might expect. A portion of that is caused because the yeast when pitched HAVE to grow. If you create an environment where you pitch so much yeast, enough to where the yeast do not have to grow in order to ferment the beer, the flavor won't develop as it normally would.

I'd say just re-hydrate one pack and pitch that per carboy instead of 2 per.

Will a re-hydrated US-05 batch turn out as good as a WLP-001 batch? Hard to say - the flavor will be different. How much? Again, hard to say. Let us know what you think once it's done!
US-05 and WLP 001 are essentially the same strain. I doubt you'll be able to tell the difference. And....the rehydration debate (pro/con) will never die. I just dump it on top.

Old 08-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #5
jholen
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I might be naive, but I typically believe Jamil and John - and I remember listening to this very question the other day on a Brewstrong podcast.

I am aware that US-05 and 001 are essentially the same strain, and I never said I would be able to tell a difference. I was just trying to pass on some information that I had thought useful, from two guys who in my opinion are quite knowledgeable.

Old 08-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #6
ILBMF
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

As far as the 1 vs 2 packs per carboy...I had a well respected vender here on the forum suggest that with higher gravity beer. I'm using 26 lbs of 2-row along with some specialty grains and sometimes a 1.5 lb corn sugar addition on top of that. I don't claim to know what's right, but I'm getting conflicting info.

''Once, I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken'' (Read that somewhere, just loved it. Sorry if I stole it...consider it a compliment)

''I don't allow work during drinking hours''

Old 08-18-2012, 05:19 PM   #7
KISS Brew
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy71 View Post
US-05 and WLP 001 are essentially the same strain. I doubt you'll be able to tell the difference.
This is a fact. I've split a batch between US-05 and Wyeast 1056, and I didn't perceive a difference.

Bottled:
Hoptoberfest IPA, Oktoberfest Ale, Blonde Ale, Scottish Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Edwort's Apfelwein, Janet's Brown Ale, Irish Red Ale, Strawberry Wheat, ESB, Belgian Pale Ale

KISS Brew Homebrewing Blog

Most recent post: Beyond the Pale Ale Recipe

Old 08-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 438 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholen View Post
It's actually the other way around. The same enzyme, acetyl co-A, is used for both cell growth and ester production. when it's doing one of those, it doesn't do the other. So, if you overpitch, there's no need for cell growth and the enzyme produces esters. If you underpitch, the enzyme goes to cell growth and you get less esters. This is to some degree dependent on yeast strain, but in general that's how it works.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 08-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILBMF View Post
As far as the 1 vs 2 packs per carboy...I had a well respected vender here on the forum suggest that with higher gravity beer. I'm using 26 lbs of 2-row along with some specialty grains and sometimes a 1.5 lb corn sugar addition on top of that. I don't claim to know what's right, but I'm getting conflicting info.
Consult mrmalty.com's yeast pitching calculator. http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

The thing is, if you were brewing a 1.075 beer before with only one package and one 2000 ml starter with 10 gallons, that would be severely underpitching. But using 2.5 packages of dry yeast (TOTAL) in the same 10 gallons is more than sufficient.

Proper pitch rate is crucial, whether using liquid OR dry yeast.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:14 PM   #10
jholen
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
It's actually the other way around. The same enzyme, acetyl co-A, is used for both cell growth and ester production. when it's doing one of those, it doesn't do the other. So, if you overpitch, there's no need for cell growth and the enzyme produces esters. If you underpitch, the enzyme goes to cell growth and you get less esters. This is to some degree dependent on yeast strain, but in general that's how it works.
Ah, maybe I misunderstood the two of them.

No growth required = lots of esters? ie. more flavor in that regard.

Quick Reply