Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Dry Nottingham not starting

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2011, 06:41 PM   #1
DustyTheBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Dry Nottingham not starting

Hey guys,

So my first AG brew was on Sunday. Everything went well and I got a post boil OG of 1.057 at 8 gallons. Prior to going AG I was using a homebrew kit called FestaBrew (fully hydrated wort made by a brewery in Western Canada) which comes with dry yeast. I had never had any problem just pitching the dry yeast on top of the wort.

When I did the same thing with my first batch nothing happened after 24 hrs. After some thinking I concluded it was because I sprinkled dry yeast on top of cold (54-57 F) wort without hydrating it. I stirred the brew, ran to the LHBS to pick up 2 more packs of Notti. I followed the directions to a tee and off she went. It is now in the secondary. Success.

Yesterday I started my second batch. I got 9 gallons at 1.054. Followed the directions (sprinkled into 30 C water, wait 15 min, stir, wait till room temp) and added to the wort. It has now been 24hrs with.... nothing. The wort during pitching this time was probably around 8 F cooler than room temp of 68 F.

What am I doing wrong? Is this a temperature problem? Should my fermentation temp be higher (than 68)? Are the little yeast buggers that sensitive as to croak over a few degrees difference during pitching? Is my OG too high for it to get started?

I am going to have to go find more yeast to add tonight...

Any and all help is appreciated.

Cheers.

PS, This is not yeast from the Notti "problem" batch. Exp Dec 2011.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2011, 06:53 PM   #2
infection
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

there was a recall on some nottingham with a 12/11 date

check this thread:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f41/lallemand-danstar-nottinghman-yeast-recall-199581/

Old 03-04-2011, 06:55 PM   #3
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

No problem, it has only been 24 hours, wait and see if it doesn't take off later today or tomorrow. Did you only put one packet in for nine gallons of 1.054 wort? If so, you underpiteched.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 03-04-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by infection View Post
there was a recall on some nottingham with a 12/11 date

check this thread:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f41/lallemand-danstar-nottinghman-yeast-recall-199581/
Yeah, I'm thinking he already knows about that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyTheBrewer View Post
PS, This is not yeast from the Notti "problem" batch. Exp Dec 2011.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 03-04-2011, 07:01 PM   #5
DustyTheBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I put two packs in. It's definitely not underpitched.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:04 PM   #6
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Quote:
I put two packs in. It's definitely not underpitched.
Yeah, two packs should be fine.

I'd give it another day or so. Right around 24 hours for fermentation to start isn't that uncommon for me. Sometimes it happens sooner. Some of my newb batches took up to 48 hours, they were definitely underpitched. I've never had anything take longer, but some recommend waiting up to 72 hours.

How are you determining if fermentation is active?

Old 03-04-2011, 07:04 PM   #7
DustyTheBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

OMG!!!! I read the pack wrong. All SIX if the packages Ive purchased of the yeast have been of the 12/2011 batch!

I dont know how I will get retribution from the first four I used for my first batch as I threw them out long ago. I'm really angry the the brewing store right now though.

Any Ideas on how to get this batch going? the only place that sells dry brewing yeast is this one store an hour away (stupid southern Ontario)...

Old 03-04-2011, 07:07 PM   #8
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Quote:
OMG!!!! I read the pack wrong. All SIX if the packages Ive purchased of the yeast have been of the 12/2011 batch!

I dont know how I will get retribution from the first four I used for my first batch as I threw them out long ago. I'm really angry the the brewing store right now though.
I would wait. You say the last one took off with a repitch? What was the date on those packs? Could have been the same date. Also, how soon after repitch did it take off?

Old 03-04-2011, 07:08 PM   #9
DustyTheBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Repitched 2 packs of the same batch and it started within the expected time. Pitched in the evening and was rolling by the morning.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:10 PM   #10
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Quote:
Repitched 2 packs of the same batch and it started within the expected time. Pitched in the evening and was rolling my the morning.
So, sounds like the stuff worked. It's possible that it wasn't even the repitch that did it and it was the first pitch finally kicking in. I believe the primary issue people were complaining about with that batch was that it was a slow starter.

Quick Reply