Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Dry hopping in PRimary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2011, 02:13 PM   #1
Brian-d
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Dry hopping in PRimary

Is there any brewing rule that says dry hopping in the primary is a bad thing? I've read plenty about leaving your beer on the yeast cake longer (3-4) weeks to complete fermentation and I buy that. My thinking is that if you could open the primary long enough to drop in dry hops, then you minimize oxygen exposure that is bound to happen transferring to a secondary. Your thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2011, 02:15 PM   #2
JLW
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I haven't dry hopped in primary yet. Plenty of brewers do dry hop in primary.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:00 PM   #3
Mogwai
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-d View Post
Is there any brewing rule that says dry hopping in the primary is a bad thing? I've read plenty about leaving your beer on the yeast cake longer (3-4) weeks to complete fermentation and I buy that. My thinking is that if you could open the primary long enough to drop in dry hops, then you minimize oxygen exposure that is bound to happen transferring to a secondary. Your thoughts?
Who says it is a bad thing? I've only heard the opposite. But I am a newbie, don't listen to me.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:04 PM   #4
phenry
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I've only dry hopped in primary. The two week old IPA I have in bottles told me yesterday that it works pretty damn good.

I do plan on doing some side by side comparisons with a few variables once I find a good APA recipe I feel like repeating, and this is definitely going to be one I test.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:09 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2202 Times on 1918 Posts
Likes Given: 1651

Nothing wrong with it. I do it all the time. Just wait till you get a stable FG,since the brew should be settled out pretty good by then. The hop oils cling to the settling yeast being the reason I wait till FG.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:13 PM   #6
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1647 Times on 1238 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/dry...rimary-260356/

Great minds and all that.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:57 PM   #7
skibb
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 50

It is OK to do, but you won't get the best results and you will reduce your yeast's vitality if you plan on repitching it for another batch. Here's a great podcast that goes in depth about this technique:

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/sho...08-Dry-Hopping

Old 08-02-2011, 04:37 PM   #8
SailorTodd
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
Nothing wrong with it. I do it all the time. Just wait till you get a stable FG,since the brew should be settled out pretty good by then. The hop oils cling to the settling yeast being the reason I wait till FG.
Isn't there also something about the CO2 carrying off some of that hop goodness if fermentation is still active?

I've had great results dry hopping in primary. I usually do it at day 9, when things look like they're on the glide slope for bottling by day 14. I've asked the same question repeatedly about racking to secondary/bright tank to dry hop and the brew strong episode is about the only thing that has been a good, valid reason. My caveat, I don't harvest/reuse yeast at my stage in brewing, and I don't own a carboy that would serve as a bright tank.

Beer, so much more than just a breakfast drink

Old 08-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #9
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I dry hop plenty of beers in the primary. There are two distinct disadvantages though.

A. The hop resins will coat this yeast. This means there is less hop resin in the beer, meaning there is less hop flavor and aroma.

B. The hop resins will coat the yeast. Therefore the yeast will only be suitable to re-pitch into something hoppy, as some of that flavor will carry over.

Problem A, isn't much as an issue in beers that don't need a LOT of hop aroma. Dry-hopped blondes, bitters, and even pale ales work all do really well dry hopped in the primary. I'd recommend moving your IPAs and IIPAs to secondary before dry hopping.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:45 PM   #10
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 313 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I am not harvesting the yeast from my fermentor, I keep the dreggs of my starters for that.

I do dry hop in primary, my main focus to to put them in with 5-10 points left of gravity to ferment. The o2 that I introduce will be driven off and I can naturally carb the beer so once it is crash cool and I transfer and serve immediately for a nice and fresh APA/IPA

The downside is that some aroma will be driven off but you can counteract this by putting in more hops

Quick Reply