Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Dry Hopping and Cold Crashing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
Flatspin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Dry Hopping and Cold Crashing

I have an IPA that I added dry hops to Friday, Sunday, and today. My plan is that these are added 7, 5, and 3 days before bottling. When you all dry hop, do you cold crash to aid in clearing before bottling? It so, since the cold temperatures slow down the hop infusion rate, should I add a day to conditioning before bottling?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
cheier
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

There was one beer that I threw in a keg, added polyclar, a couple ounces of hops and crashed it down to 35F. It came out very clear and tasty. The only caveat is that cold crashing while dry hopping may take slightly longer to get some of those nice hop aromas. Maybe extend your dry hopping by a couple days.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
Flatspin
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

So, with the dry hopping schedule I mentioned in mu last post, should I let the beer condition at room temp for 3 days before cold crashing or 2 days at room temp and a few at 35-40? I know it probably doesn't make much difference but I'm curious what everyone else's best practices are.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:10 PM   #4
cheier
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't really have a science to my process. It is more of a "whatever I feel like doing" for the most part. Heck, I'd take a little sample periodically to see if the taste is where you want it.

The reality is, some hops do better for dry hopping than others, some might be best for a week, some for 2, it really depends. If the flavour is getting to where you want it, and this can only be tested by tasting, then I'd say done. Just know that it will take longer for that dry hopped aroma to be imparted at cooler temps.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS