Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Done fermenting already?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2009, 05:49 PM   #1
13ALPHA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: North Pole, AK
Posts: 8
Default Done fermenting already?

Hi,

I am brand new here and to brewing. I brewed my first batch a few days ago and had a question for you. It took about 24 hrs to get going, got a nice layer of foam and was bubbling like a clock. It is now approaching 48hrs since pitching and the fermenting appears to have stopped. No activity I can see in the airlock and the foam basically fell flat.

It is an amber ale, and has been at a steady 69-72 degrees in a 6.5g carboy.

I took a sample today to see progress, here are what my numbers look like:
OG: 1.05 and gravity for today: 1.02. I see it made progress, which is good, it seems to be at about 3.1%ABW. About normal?

Is it really done? I plan on just keeping it in for a week total, maybe check gravity in a few days, see if it's still going, just slow?

BTW it tasted great, no funny taste yet, just warm and flat. Thanks

__________________

-Scott
Fermenting-Bavarian Hefe
Bottled-Imperial Nut Brown Ale

13ALPHA is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2009, 05:54 PM   #2
McKBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
McKBrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hayden, Idaho
Posts: 8,291
Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

It is very possible for the bulk of fermentation to have finished that fast, however it is still beneficial to leave it in the primary for at least a few more days if not longer.

When I was extract brewing I often had beers that finished at the 1.018-1.020 range. Nothing to worry about.

Since you are just starting out, you are anxious to get the first beer in bottles and eventually in your stomach where it belongs. Once you get the first batch out of the way, do some reading on keeping beer in primary for two weeks or more. It's a technique many of us are using with good results. (Clearer beer, more flavor development, etc...)

__________________

Make Beer, Not War.

McKBrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2009, 05:57 PM   #3
greeneyed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Whitt, Texas
Posts: 284
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

It may be over, but the only way to know would be to take samples and get the exact same reading for 3 consecutive days.

That being said. Alot of people will tell you to leave it on the yeast cake for up to 4 weeks. This allows the yeast to go back and clean up after themselves.

__________________
greeneyed is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2009, 06:19 PM   #4
13ALPHA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: North Pole, AK
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
It is very possible for the bulk of fermentation to have finished that fast, however it is still beneficial to leave it in the primary for at least a few more days if not longer.

When I was extract brewing I often had beers that finished at the 1.018-1.020 range. Nothing to worry about.

Since you are just starting out, you are anxious to get the first beer in bottles and eventually in your stomach where it belongs. Once you get the first batch out of the way, do some reading on keeping beer in primary for two weeks or more. It's a technique many of us are using with good results. (Clearer beer, more flavor development, etc...)
Thanks, I will just leave it in there longer then. No change to the procedure if you plan on leaving it in the primary fermenter for that long? I can just leave as it is for longer? If so, I can wait...getting bottles still. Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneyed View Post
It may be over, but the only way to know would be to take samples and get the exact same reading for 3 consecutive days.

That being said. Alot of people will tell you to leave it on the yeast cake for up to 4 weeks. This allows the yeast to go back and clean up after themselves.
Sounds like I will just let it develop, so when you say they clean up after themselves, do you mean convert the last little bits of sugar?
__________________

-Scott
Fermenting-Bavarian Hefe
Bottled-Imperial Nut Brown Ale

13ALPHA is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2009, 06:23 PM   #5
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
david_42's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Willamina & Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Posts: 25,651
Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Default

Right now it is around 3.9%. The formula is (OG-FG)*0.13, where the gravities are the last two figures on the hydrometer. (50-20)*1.3

Yeast will make other chemicals (intermediaries) during the ferment and then when the sugars are gone, work on the intermediaries.

__________________

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

david_42 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2009, 06:27 PM   #6
13ALPHA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: North Pole, AK
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
Right now it is around 3.9%. The formula is (OG-FG)*0.13, where the gravities are the last two figures on the hydrometer. (50-20)*1.3

Yeast will make other chemicals (intermediaries) during the ferment and then when the sugars are gone, work on the intermediaries.
That makes sense, thanks!
__________________

-Scott
Fermenting-Bavarian Hefe
Bottled-Imperial Nut Brown Ale

13ALPHA is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2013, 11:12 PM   #7
rcrosbyusss
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2
Default

ok - I too just brewed my first batch two days ago(Sunday 6/23/13) I just went to take a look to see any progress and noticed the process seems to be taking place as the lid to the pale has bowed, telling me gas is building up. However, the airlock does not appear to have any colored liquid in it, only the water i put in it when sealing the pale. My concern is that it will blow up! Any helpful insight most appreciated

__________________
rcrosbyusss is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2013, 11:18 PM   #8
SteveLikesBeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 124
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrosbyusss View Post
ok - I too just brewed my first batch two days ago(Sunday 6/23/13) I just went to take a look to see any progress and noticed the process seems to be taking place as the lid to the pale has bowed, telling me gas is building up. However, the airlock does not appear to have any colored liquid in it, only the water i put in it when sealing the pale. My concern is that it will blow up! Any helpful insight most appreciated
What kind of airlock are you using and are you positive that the gas can flow out (IE: nothing was blocking the airlock)?
__________________
Sciential Ale Labs
Testing ale on humans since TEMPORAL ANOMALY

Primary: Bret Saison, Flanders Red
Bottled: Chin Hook, Dubbel's Advocate, FATAB, Saison, Penny the Welder, D2
Keg: TransPorter
SteveLikesBeer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2013, 12:27 AM   #9
rcrosbyusss
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2
Default

i am using the airlock that came with the Brewer's best kit. after sanitizing it, i filled it to the water line. it then goes thru the rubber stopper into the pale. Is there a way to test the airlock without ruining the batch?

__________________
rcrosbyusss is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Done fermenting?? flander Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 12-01-2009 07:08 PM
Still fermenting? jeremyx All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 12 10-16-2009 05:13 PM
not fermenting out all the way bigjim74 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 12 01-19-2009 12:03 AM
fermenting HOT slim chillingsworth Recipes/Ingredients 35 06-11-2008 02:50 AM
Fermenting Again? Gabe All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 9 08-19-2006 04:45 PM