Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Does Yeast Nutrient Typically Speed Fermentation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2010, 05:55 PM   #1
merkinman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Does Yeast Nutrient Typically Speed Fermentation?

I am about to use a third generation slurry for a lager I will brew this week. I need this to be through fermenting and diacetyl rest in fewer than ten days. I thought adding a little yeast nutrient to the wort may help things happen a little faster -- that and turning the fermentation temperature up a couple of degrees.

My lagers are usually ready for their rests in 7-10 days after pitching. Does anyone with experience with yeast nutrient think adding it would shave off a day or two?

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2010, 07:08 PM   #2
14thstreet
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It might, it might not. I'd venture to say it mostly depends on the state of your yeast before you pitch. Have heathy active yeast, it may or may not make a difference if you add it or not. It probably helps an underpitched, slightly inactive yeast take hold of fermentation, but in the end, your beer will be better off with a longer fermentation anyway. Wake up your yeast in a starter, regardless.

On Deck: English Bitter, RIS

Old 06-09-2010, 07:11 PM   #3
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

why are you in such a hurry?

i dont think the nutrient will speed the fermentation. if anything i would think it would make fermentation easier on the yeast and making it more efficient resulting in less unwanted byproduct production.

Quick Reply