Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Does my yeast packet with built in starter, need a starter?
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2012, 03:56 PM   #11
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 397 Times on 323 Posts
Likes Given: 127

When I first started brewing Injust smacked the pack and pitched it... Did it make beer? Of course it did. Was it good beer? Yes it was pretty decent. Was it the best beer?

After I started making starters with the smack packs my brews turned out much better.

Do you need a starter? Yes if you want good beer. Look up the Mr. Malty calculator and make a starter of the recommended size and your brews will improve.

Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2012, 07:39 PM   #12
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by beergolf View Post
When I first started brewing Injust smacked the pack and pitched it... Did it make beer? Of course it did. Was it good beer? Yes it was pretty decent. Was it the best beer?

After I started making starters with the smack packs my brews turned out much better.

Do you need a starter? Yes if you want good beer. Look up the Mr. Malty calculator and make a starter of the recommended size and your brews will improve.
Agreed.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 01-15-2012, 07:40 PM   #13
dassy
Recipes 

Starter it is. Thanks everyone!

Old 01-15-2012, 07:42 PM   #14
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by dassy View Post
Starter it is. Thanks everyone!
Good choice! Plus it's good practice for your sanitization process, it's fun, AND you can make sure your yeast are alive and kicking before pitching. Wins all around.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 01-15-2012, 08:06 PM   #15
mcnewcp
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Lets not forget it also highly depends on the viability of the yeast.

Primary: French/American Farmhouse, ECY20 Lambic
Secondary: Flanders Red
Kegged: Brett Cust Citra Pale Ale, Galaxy/HBC342 Wheat IPA
Bottled: Falconers Flight Farmhouse, 1 yr Blueberry Sour, 2 yr Berliner Weisse

Old 01-15-2012, 08:22 PM   #16
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by hercher View Post
Nope. It's good to go. A starter helps, but is unnecessary.
Wrong, Wrong, Wrong...

The nutrients in the smack pack is not the same thing as making a starter. It's just enough nutrients to wake the yeast up, it's not enough to cause the yeast to reproduce to the size we need for most beers. That's why it's important to know how much your beer needs and make a starter to that amount.

It's really a good idea to make starters when using ANY liguid yeast for all beers above 1.020 OG...

The biggest reason I suggest folks make a starter is if you make one you'll have peace of mind. It's especially important if you have questionable situation happenning with your yeast, like not being sure the yeast arrived healthy.

And you won't be starting an "is my yeast dead" thread in a couple of days.

Making a starter first insures that your yeast is still alive and viable before you dump it in your beer. You will be less likely to start one of those "is my yeast dead?" threads that are on here every day.

You will also ensure that you have enough yeast usually the tubes and smack packs are a lot less yeast that you really should use for healthy fermentation.

Making a starter also usually means your beer will take off sooner, because the first thing that the little buggers do in the presence of wort (whether in a flask or in a fermenter) is have an orgy to reproduce enough cells to do the job...So it won't take such a long time in the fermenter since they started doing it in the flask.

So making a starter proves your yeast is still healthy, allows you to grow enough yeast to do the job, cuts down on lag time, and ensures that you will not get off flavors or stuck ferementations from stressed out yeast.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-15-2012, 08:26 PM   #17
MrManifesto
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

A smack pack isn't a starter, it's nothing like a starter and doesn't do the job of a starter AT ALL.

Make a starter, people. It's easy and kinda fun and will give you better beer. This "smack pack is sorta kinda like a starter" idea is bad info, plain and simple.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:19 PM   #18
mcaple1
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Overkill Revvy back in action.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:38 PM   #19
hercher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Wrong, Wrong, Wrong...

The nutrients in the smack pack is not the same thing as making a starter. It's just enough nutrients to wake the yeast up, it's not enough to cause the yeast to reproduce to the size we need for most beers. That's why it's important to know how much your beer needs and make a starter to that amount.

It's really a good idea to make starters when using ANY liguid yeast for all beers above 1.020 OG...

The biggest reason I suggest folks make a starter is if you make one you'll have peace of mind. It's especially important if you have questionable situation happenning with your yeast, like not being sure the yeast arrived healthy.

And you won't be starting an "is my yeast dead" thread in a couple of days.

Making a starter first insures that your yeast is still alive and viable before you dump it in your beer. You will be less likely to start one of those "is my yeast dead?" threads that are on here every day.

You will also ensure that you have enough yeast usually the tubes and smack packs are a lot less yeast that you really should use for healthy fermentation.

Making a starter also usually means your beer will take off sooner, because the first thing that the little buggers do in the presence of wort (whether in a flask or in a fermenter) is have an orgy to reproduce enough cells to do the job...So it won't take such a long time in the fermenter since they started doing it in the flask.

So making a starter proves your yeast is still healthy, allows you to grow enough yeast to do the job, cuts down on lag time, and ensures that you will not get off flavors or stuck ferementations from stressed out yeast.
Sorry, Revvy, but I resent your dismissal of my answer. Nothing in your response refutes my statement: A starter is a good idea, but it is not NECESSARY.

I have made many very good beers pitching only a Wyeast smack pack, including the smaller propagator sizes. At no time did I say the Wyeast was a starter. At no time did I say a starter was a bad idea.

I merely said it was not necessary.

Primary: Amber Ale. :(
Seconary: Don't use one, generally
Kegged: Stein beer
Planned: Saison, pale ale, brown ale

"For a quart of ale is a dish for a king." - Shakespeare

Old 01-15-2012, 11:00 PM   #20
Sulli
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I'd say OP's question was answered awhile ago.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply