Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Does my yeast packet with built in starter, need a starter?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2012, 07:08 PM   #91
JustLooking
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloj13 View Post
I would be willing to bet you a trillion dollars that we can find a number of people who would swear that they make "great" beer without controlling their fermentation temp.
Not a bet that I'd take. People will swear to a lot of stuff.

Heck, I just heard a guy say that he could make a starter in 15 minutes.

Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2012, 07:13 PM   #92
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustLooking View Post
Thank-you for confirming that making a starter is not as simple as the original description you posted.

WTF??? It IS as simple as that "Original' description I posted....Feeding it is JUST doing steps 1-5 a few more times. How mush harder is that? WTF are you getting at?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-21-2012, 07:17 PM   #93
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
It's a lot easier than continued feeding. A smack pack might not have enough yeast for 5 gal. of wort, but it's got more than enough for 2-3 qt. I make one step, 2 or 3 qt. starters in a gal. glass jug. Without stir plate, I start them a week ahead, let them ferment out, refrigerate and decant. With a stir plate, I start about 5 days ahead. Dead easy.
True, I just was giving multiple feedings as an example of making a big starter. But we're both right, it's not hard at all....Despite whatever justlooking is getting at.

Hell you can make it even easier than both you and I are talking about.

You can make a starter without using malt extract, and step it up without using malt extract...Here's everything someone needs to make up a small starter to a big starter, without even boiling and cooling.

A six pack of Malta Goya from the grocery store. Hell, I was just in krogers today and they had them on the bottom shelf in the section with the salsas and stuff.

Just open up a bottle, pour it in a vessel, and pitch yeast....

Justlooking, is THAT too hard for you?????

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-21-2012, 07:19 PM   #94
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:

What the **** are you getting at, YOU CAN make a starter in 15 minutes....Bring to boil, cool and pitch....that's it! Come back the next day ad feed or pitch....

Old 01-21-2012, 07:32 PM   #95
Sulli
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
You're no different than the many posters here who pitch a single pack of liquid yeast into 5 gallons of 1.060 wort and say, “it worked fine.” Making a starter is not what’s important. Pitch rate is. Using the accepted pitch rate of one million cells, the best you could expect to achieve from that method is a rate recommended for a 1.024 beer.

I’m not in complete agreement with all these numbers, but that’s what you get using the formulas that Mr Malty is based on. It’s the one the Revvy uses when he says a single liquid yeast pack is only good for a 1.020 wort.

My point is that there is science and math behind understanding yeast and pitch rates. There’s even more science behind making a starter and knowing that the end result is what you were expecting. It’s not as simple as the outdated graphic that Revvy posted. Just blindly making a starter and tossing it in your wort is not what's going to make your beer better. Adjusting your technique after understanding why you're doing what you're doing will.

You may even come to the conclusion that I have. That making a starter is not what makes great beer.
Trust me bud, I understand the math behind starters. this application didn't write itself.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:49 PM   #96
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
My point is that there is science and math behind understanding yeast and pitch rates. There’s even more science behind making a starter and knowing that the end result is what you were expecting. It’s not as simple as the outdated graphic that Revvy posted. Just blindly making a starter and tossing it in your wort is not what's going to make your beer better. Adjusting your technique after understanding why you're doing what you're doing will.
It's sounds like you're being a troll more than you're being helpful.....

We're discussing how simple it is to make a starter. And that "outdated" graphic shows how simple it is to make a starter.

And getting to the numbers is no more difficult.....

And honestly, "blindly" making even the simplest starter is STILL better than making none at all....we're trying to get folks to do something basic, so maybe once the realize how dead simple it is, they'll be more apt to make them and pay attention to pitching rates.

But I would rather have someone make a starter, even with my "outdated" chart (which I stole from one of the most read threads on here, that's probably been repsponisble for more people actually making starters (Deathbrewer's tutorial) than not make on at all.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:13 PM   #97
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
are you serious? have you ever made a starter? is does only take about 15 mins. stepping it up takes another 15. anyway you cut it, making starters is one of the simpler parts of the brewing process. i've been following this thread since i first posted, but didn't feel the need to chime in and repost until now. do you actually have a point you're trying to make or are you just arguing against one of the more common brewing practices for arguments sake?

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:39 PM   #98
JustLooking
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulli View Post
Wait a minute, did I miss something? The last time I made a starter, I pretty much followed a 6 step process just like the one Revvy posted, and it worked fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulli View Post
Trust me bud, I understand the math behind starters. this application didn't write itself.
Sorry, I didn’t realize that you were making a 1.024 batch. Nice session beer I’ll bet. Now that you think of me as your buddy, we should get together and sample a few.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:47 PM   #99
Sulli
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Sorry, I didn’t realize that you were making a 1.024 batch. Nice session beer I’ll bet. Now that you think of me as your buddy, we should get together and sample a few.
Don't know where this 1.024 thing is coming from, perhaps you've forgotten to take your meds today?
Old 01-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #100
Transamguy77
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordeastBrewer77

are you serious? have you ever made a starter? is does only take about 15 mins. stepping it up takes another 15. anyway you cut it, making starters is one of the simpler parts of the brewing process. i've been following this thread since i first posted, but didn't feel the need to chime in and repost until now. do you actually have a point you're trying to make or are you just arguing against one of the more common brewing practices for arguments sake?
+1 my thoughts exactly.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply