Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Does fermentation generate heat?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2010, 12:17 PM   #1
allanmac00
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Does fermentation generate heat?

To test my basement for fermentation temperature, I filled up a carboy 1/4 of the way with water. The fermometer sticker has read a steady 62F on the water. So my question is, does that mean that wort will ferment at 62? I've heard that fermentation produces it's own heat and raises its own heat above ambient temps. Is this true? And if so, how much of a heat boost can I expect? I'd like to get an ale fermenting at least 65 or so. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2010, 12:35 PM   #2
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Yeasties create their own heat during that orgy we call active fermentation. In a 5 gal batch I've seen anything from 5-10 degrees of difference from ambient. You can use a water bath with ice to keep the temps down if needed.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 02-26-2010, 12:35 PM   #3
jbambuti
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Depending on the fermentation, your temps might rise 6 degrees or so. I always start my fermentations on the coolest side of the yeast's threshold, then raise it (usually by moving to a warmer area) after the violent part of the fermentation has passed.

Primary 2: Apfelwein

Primary 3: Air

Bottled: Hammered Squirrel Nut Brown Ale (btl. 5/9/10), Jamil's Evil Twin (btl. 3/29/10), Crazy Ivan RIS (btl. 2/14/10), English Pale Ale (btl. 12/29/09), Apfelwein

Up Next:

Old 02-26-2010, 12:44 PM   #4
kinison_fan
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Yeah, will cause it to climb up some.
I always ferment in the unfinished side of my basement-ambient temp there is pretty constant year round.

-Those that know don’t close the door on those that don’t know (The Gourds, "Education Song")...
-The brewer's yeast ferments, and forgives, all that you did...(The Gourds, "Right in the Head")...

Quick Reply