Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Does fermcap retard fermentation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2012, 01:04 AM   #1
Beerbeque
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Does fermcap retard fermentation?

I hate dealing with the mess and hassle of blowoff tubes so I used fermcap drops last time to keep my kraeusen contained but my ferment looks more sluggish than it should so I wonder if the fermcap retarded my fermentation? What has your experience with fermcap and fermentation?

Give us this day our liquid bread

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2012, 01:07 AM   #2
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I've had issues with fermentation either starting in the normal amount of time (for me) with or without fermcap being added. Granted most of my batches have it added at least to the boil if not also to the fermenter. Using a starter, and pure O2 to infuse the luscious wort, I get active fermentation [typically] within 12 hours of pitching yeast.

What dosage did you use? I typically go with the recommended 2-3 drops per gallon in the boil (starting boil volume) and 1-2 drops per gallon in fermenter.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 05-31-2012, 01:46 AM   #3
Beerbeque
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ooops, I added SIX drops to my fermenter. Maybe that's why my ferm seems sluggish. It started early and vigoriously but now (48 hours in) seems rather lifeless.

Give us this day our liquid bread

Old 05-31-2012, 01:47 AM   #4
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Six total or six per gallon?? Either way, I highly doubt it's the cause of how your batch is acting.

BTW, post pics...

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 05-31-2012, 01:53 AM   #5
rawlus
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 12

How are you judging the speed of your fermentation for comparison purposes? Fermcap should have no appreciable effect on fermentation process, though it will reduce krausen and make things "look" slower.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:53 AM   #6
two_one_seven
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I haven't ever used it because it kind of weirds me out putting silicone in my beer. I know it's supposed to drop out but it just doesn't seem right.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:56 AM   #7
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 502 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 226

In my researching the use of anti foam agents and Ferm-cap specifically I have spoken to several bio-chemists in the industry and there is no incidence of there being an effect on the actual fermentation process, only the expansion of the krausen produced is reduced due to less surface tension. Two of the chemists also happened to be professional brewers as well.

In addition, if the product is used in the boil it does not need to be used again in the fermentor

The FDA also recommends that the product, being silicon based should only be used in beer that can be filtered. There are numerous threads here discussing Ferm-cap you can search as well as a list of alternative products that serve the same purpose.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 05-31-2012, 02:27 AM   #8
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
The FDA also recommends that the product, being silicon based should only be used in beer that can be filtered.
I find that hard to believe, OR the FDA doesn't know what the foam their talking about... I would tend to believe the government/FDA doesn't have a clue when it comes to these things.

From the Crosby-Baker web site on Fermcap-s...

"FermCap S is a unique emulsion of dimethylpolysiloxane. It is an extremely effective, surface active agent that prevents foam formation during fermentation by reducing surface tension. Reduced foaming increases fermentation capacity and prevents mess, improves alpha-acid utilization and CO2 recovery, and prevents hazes due to collapsed foam. Because of FermCap's novel behavior, it completely adsorbs onto the yeast, vessel walls, and filter media. No FermCap remains in the finished beer."

While it does mention 'filter media' it, in no way, recommends filtering. I've also read, from other sources, that it settles out with the yeast/trub and doesn't remain in the finished beer. Unless you're grabbing trub on purpose and putting it into your bottles/kegs that is. Even then, I would expect it to settle into the bottom, and not go into the glass. Unless, of course, you've brewed something that you actually want to have the trub/yeast/etc. in the glass (a wheat perhaps?)...

Personally, I'm not brewing anything where I want trub/sediment in my glass. I'm also kegging (2+ weeks in the brew fridge normally before pouring a pint from a keg) so it essentially gets cold crashed before it goes to glass.

Fermenting
K1:

Old 05-31-2012, 02:30 AM   #9
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
I find that hard to believe, OR the FDA doesn't know what the foam their talking about... I would tend to believe the government/FDA doesn't have a clue when it comes to these things.

From the Crosby-Baker web site on Fermcap-s...

"FermCap S is a unique emulsion of dimethylpolysiloxane. It is an extremely effective, surface active agent that prevents foam formation during fermentation by reducing surface tension. Reduced foaming increases fermentation capacity and prevents mess, improves alpha-acid utilization and CO2 recovery, and prevents hazes due to collapsed foam. Because of FermCap's novel behavior, it completely adsorbs onto the yeast, vessel walls, and filter media. No FermCap remains in the finished beer."

While it does mention 'filter media' it, in no way, recommends filtering. I've also read, from other sources, that it settles out with the yeast/trub and doesn't remain in the finished beer. Unless you're grabbing trub on purpose and putting it into your bottles/kegs that is. Even then, I would expect it to settle into the bottom, and not go into the glass. Unless, of course, you've brewed something that you actually want to have the trub/yeast/etc. in the glass (a wheat perhaps?)...

Personally, I'm not brewing anything where I want trub/sediment in my glass. I'm also kegging (2+ weeks in the brew fridge normally before pouring a pint from a keg) so it essentially gets cold crashed before it goes to glass.
Not to mention the FDA approves consumption of this product. And the FDA wouldn't make recommendations about what products to use/not use in homebrewing. I'm calling shenanigans.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 05-31-2012, 02:37 AM   #10
MrManifesto
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I use it, but haven't noticed any issues. Last beer finished at 1.008.

Quick Reply