Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Do you use yeast nutrient

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2013, 03:08 PM   #1
kevinb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 73

Default Do you use yeast nutrient

I am curious how many of you use yeast nutrient at the end of the boil? Does it really help?

Kevin - One Arm Brewery

"People who drink light ‘beer’ don’t like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 114

I never have. I know people who do, but I can't tell the difference side by side. I always get great performance from my yeast without it.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:16 PM   #3
Glaurung30
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just started using yeast nutrient in my last two batches. I have noticed a significant difference in how active my fermentation is since I have been using it.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:36 PM   #4
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 486 Posts
Likes Given: 254

i've used Wyeast's nutrient ever since my first batch, so i don't have any non-nutrient batches to compare to. i've never had a stalled fermentation, my FG is always where it should be, etc. obviously this is due to many factors but i believe the nutrients are part of the equation.

the stuff is really cheap - a tube cost $3-4 and lasts me over a year. there is no downside to using it, and it can only help.

for me, the question is why not use it?!? seems like a no-brainer!

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, sour cherry mead, imperial chocolate stout and its not-so-small second runnings beer
Aging: oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 02-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #5
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 240 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 125

I think in general, malt has all the nutrients that yeast need (the exact mineral content in your malt will depend on where/how it was grown). Yeast nutrient certainly won't hurt anything, but probably isn't necessary. Cider or wine might be another story.

I usually put a pinch in with my starters, or towards the end of the boil for a really high OG beer. It makes me feel good but it's probably not doing anything noticeable.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
bja
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 78 Posts

Use to use it, then I ran out and brewed without it. Didn't notice a bit of difference so I never bought anymore. IMO, it's a waste of time and money.

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #7
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 324

I'll toss in a tablespoon of bakers yeast into the boil for big beers, but apart from that, I don't really in beer. Wines and meads always get a staggered nutrient addition, including plenty in the initial must.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Quick Reply