Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Do you know how to make a yeast starter? Then why not farm yeast and freeze it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2013, 09:44 PM   #411
LovesIPA
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 197 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 134

Quote:
Originally Posted by phineascoates View Post
I consider this as a good process and there are many yeast fermentation are required. First, fungi or bacteria must be present. Second, no oxygen must be present. Third, an organic compound must be present.
Have I had too many homebrews or does this not make any sense at all to anyone else either?

Immature: A word boring people use to describe fun people

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2013, 10:00 PM   #412
fc36
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesIPA View Post
Have I had too many homebrews or does this not make any sense at all to anyone else either?
Engrish at its best.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:57 PM   #413
JFK
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I was given a box of pyrex 9800 18x150 rimmed tubes. Im thinking about using them to store cultures of yeast in. Will these work ok? And where can I get stoppers for them? My internet search didnt turn up anything.

+edit. It looks like size 2 stoppers. Are rubber stoppers ok to use for this application?

Primary -
Conditioning - 5 gallons Oak Aged Sweet Tart Cherry melomel, 4 1 gallon variations of my Hops Mead.
Bottled - Choujiu (Chinese Rice Wine), Hefe, Godzilla IPA
Kegged - Godzilla IPA
On Deck - Choujiu (Chinese Rice Wine), Cream Soda for the wife n kids, German Style Pilsner with Michigan Hops,
Gone - to many to list.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #414
fc36
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK View Post
I was given a box of pyrex 9800 18x150 rimmed tubes. Im thinking about using them to store cultures of yeast in. Will these work ok? And where can I get stoppers for them? My internet search didnt turn up anything.

+edit. It looks like size 2 stoppers. Are rubber stoppers ok to use for this application?
They'll work, but be aware that when you're rousing the yeast from it slumber or any other times of activity, the CO2 the yeast will make may blow a few of your stoppers off from time to time.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:33 PM   #415
Accidic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Amazon had some of those although I think they were a bit shorter for $7/72. Was going to buy the silicone caps for mine though. Still can be blown off but should have a little bit more forgiving pressure release.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #416
Accidic

Recipes 

Also for the baby soda bottle link, they come with the caps but still hard to safely sterilize.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:19 PM   #417
JFK
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts

Default thank you all for the info

Thanks everyone who contributed here. I just bottled up my first attempt at creating my own yeast farm. I went to 6 places and finally found a bottle of Now 100% pure food grade vegetable glycerin. I made a 30% mixture of glycerin to sterile water, then mixed the solution with my yeast slurry left from a starter I made to pitch four 1 gallon batches @ a 1:1 ration which if my math is correct gives me a final concentration of 15%ish due to the unknown content of water in the slurry which I poured as much of the water off of it after cold crashing it overnight. It is now mixed and in my fridge to let it get nice and cold before I put it in the deep freezer tonight. How do I tell if my deep freezer has a thaw cycle? and I am assuming deep freezers are -20 degrees. I only got 1 culture because I had to pitch four batches but it is a good trial run before I go crazy with it

Primary -
Conditioning - 5 gallons Oak Aged Sweet Tart Cherry melomel, 4 1 gallon variations of my Hops Mead.
Bottled - Choujiu (Chinese Rice Wine), Hefe, Godzilla IPA
Kegged - Godzilla IPA
On Deck - Choujiu (Chinese Rice Wine), Cream Soda for the wife n kids, German Style Pilsner with Michigan Hops,
Gone - to many to list.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:37 PM   #418
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 416 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 307

Quote:
Thanks everyone who contributed here. I just bottled up my first attempt at creating my own yeast farm. I went to 6 places and finally found a bottle of Now 100% pure food grade vegetable glycerin. I made a 30% mixture of glycerin to sterile water, then mixed the solution with my yeast slurry left from a starter I made to pitch four 1 gallon batches @ a 1:1 ration which if my math is correct gives me a final concentration of 15%ish due to the unknown content of water in the slurry which I poured as much of the water off of it after cold crashing it overnight. It is now mixed and in my fridge to let it get nice and cold before I put it in the deep freezer tonight. How do I tell if my deep freezer has a thaw cycle? and I am assuming deep freezers are -20 degrees. I only got 1 culture because I had to pitch four batches but it is a good trial run before I go crazy with it
Self defrosting freezers will have a thaw cycle. As long as it's not self defrosting, you're good to go. Good luck on your fist attempt.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:14 PM   #419
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts

Quote:
How do I tell if my deep freezer has a thaw cycle?
Either you have to defrost it, or not.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
and I am assuming deep freezers are -20 degrees.
Zero F for home units.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:06 PM   #420
Accidic

Recipes 

The freezer above my fridge hovers around -17 degrees F and spikes up to around 0 at periodic intervals (the frost free side of it I assume). My deep freeze only runs at -6 F but sustains it very well. That's only when it's near full. The fridge unit is rarely more than 1/4 full but the top shelf of my fridge will also freeze items solid as well. I made the mistake of storing yeast there once... Only once.

Quick Reply