Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Do you know how to make a yeast starter? Then why not farm yeast and freeze it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 01:07 AM   #191
IsItBeerYet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So - does anyone have a recommendation on an "affordable" microscope that would allow me to do viability counts? I'd like it to be functional, but I don't wanna have to take out loan papers to get it, y'know? If we're gonna start testing our hypotheses, I wanna play too!

On Tap/bottled: Moo Hoo Chocolate Milk Stout Clone, Scottish Wee Heavy, Biere de Garde, Rye Wine (2013), Trippel w/Brett, Patersbier, Trippel (bottle conditioned), ESB, Wild Flower Mead

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 01:59 AM   #192
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 321

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsItBeerYet View Post
So - does anyone have a recommendation on an "affordable" microscope that would allow me to do viability counts? I'd like it to be functional, but I don't wanna have to take out loan papers to get it, y'know? If we're gonna start testing our hypotheses, I wanna play too!
Keep an eye out on E-bay. That's the best I can tell ya.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:31 AM   #193
IsItBeerYet
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've seen some "class room kits" out there in the $70 - 80 range, but am hesitant to buy if the microscope is subpar.

On Tap/bottled: Moo Hoo Chocolate Milk Stout Clone, Scottish Wee Heavy, Biere de Garde, Rye Wine (2013), Trippel w/Brett, Patersbier, Trippel (bottle conditioned), ESB, Wild Flower Mead

Old 10-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #194
Forkhead
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

OK, so my colonies have grown up so I can compare counting on a hemocytomter with CFU by plating. I want to revise my previous calculation based on hemocytomter counts to say that the original vial had 66 billion yeast. The CFU on the plates say there were 44 billion. It's pretty close, but not exactly the same. One thing to keep in mind though, is that to plate the cells, I had to dilute them 100,000-fold in order to get a countable number/plate. It's possible that such a large dilution introduces some error into the count.

I'd say my conclusion so far is that both methods give pretty close results. I'll keep going with trying to grow up enough yeast to experiment with the freezing method. My starter isn't growing as fast as I thought it would. I only had 115 billion total cells this morning. I'm trying to get to 1 trillion so that I can freeze down 9 different aliquots of 100 billion cells. This may take longer than I anticipated.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #195
Forkhead
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As far as microscopes, I don't know, but this one looks pretty good:
http://www.amazon.com/OMAX-40X-2000X...d_sbs_indust_1

I'd consider this one if you want a cheaper alternative though:
http://www.amazon.com/My-First-Lab-D...rds=microscope

If you end up getting one, please post on here an let us know which one you got and how well it works. Thanks!

Old 10-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #196
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkhead View Post
OK, so my colonies have grown up so I can compare counting on a hemocytomter with CFU by plating. I want to revise my previous calculation based on hemocytomter counts to say that the original vial had 66 billion yeast. The CFU on the plates say there were 44 billion. It's pretty close, but not exactly the same. One thing to keep in mind though, is that to plate the cells, I had to dilute them 100,000-fold in order to get a countable number/plate. It's possible that such a large dilution introduces some error into the count.

I'd say my conclusion so far is that both methods give pretty close results. I'll keep going with trying to grow up enough yeast to experiment with the freezing method. My starter isn't growing as fast as I thought it would. I only had 115 billion total cells this morning. I'm trying to get to 1 trillion so that I can freeze down 9 different aliquots of 100 billion cells. This may take longer than I anticipated.
Did you get 115 billion from the 1.4L starter or have you stepped it up since then? Just wondering what your growth rate was so I can compare that to the yeast calculators.

You're doing great man. If it takes a little longer, no worries as long as it's not inconveniencing you. You're posting results much faster than the rest of us so keep the momentum going if you can

Old 10-05-2012, 08:22 PM   #197
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

One more question for ya Forkhead, are you using a stir plate or simple starter?

Old 10-05-2012, 11:38 PM   #198
neko
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Nice write up.

I just started freezing my yeast and have some 3711 and 3068 in the chest freezer in the basement. The great thing is that I don't make wheats and saisons often (maybe once or twice a year) so I can store the yeast a long time and not take up the space that mason jars use. I haven't used any of my frozen yeasts yet so I'll have to see how that goes.

Ring ding dong. Ring a ding-ding-ding dong

"We have invented the world's largest laser system" -Ahnold

Old 10-05-2012, 11:51 PM   #199
Forkhead
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The vial from White Labs was ~50 billion (depending on how you count), which grew up to 115 billion in the 1.4L starter. Don't try to factor in time for the growth rate on my starter. I had it at room temp, but then cold crashed it for a few hours thinking it was done, but then I put it back at room temp for another day when the numbers weren't higher. Yada yada yada... I'm learning as I go.

I just cold crashed it for a few hours this afternoon, took of the wort, and added back fresh wort. My starter is up to a total volume of 1.8L now. I'm using a stir plate. I'm also putting it at 30oC (86oF) to speed up the growth now too. I'll let it go over the weekend and see what the count is on Monday.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:23 AM   #200
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkhead View Post
The vial from White Labs was ~50 billion (depending on how you count), which grew up to 115 billion in the 1.4L starter. Don't try to factor in time for the growth rate on my starter. I had it at room temp, but then cold crashed it for a few hours thinking it was done, but then I put it back at room temp for another day when the numbers weren't higher. Yada yada yada... I'm learning as I go.

I just cold crashed it for a few hours this afternoon, took of the wort, and added back fresh wort. My starter is up to a total volume of 1.8L now. I'm using a stir plate. I'm also putting it at 30oC (86oF) to speed up the growth now too. I'll let it go over the weekend and see what the count is on Monday.
Those results are a little disturbing. That's ~1/3 less yeast cells than Mr. Malty predicts and 1/2 as much as Wyeasts calculator predicts.

Quick Reply