Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Do you know how to make a yeast starter? Then why not farm yeast and freeze it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2012, 06:26 PM   #111
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 419 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsItBeerYet View Post
Love the thread.

I've been farming for a little over two years. I'm glad to see some guys that know what they are doing generating some metrics on this. I've spent some time changing my variables around like you guys (slurry%, glycerin%, temps) and also have to mention a variable that I have encountered as well. As much as I hate to admit it, some yeast just don't freeze well. I've had issues with several strains, but on the other had have strains that I am still using from an initial freeze 2 years ago. Go figure.

Do love the thread, though. Just be prepared guys. Every other week or so, I get somebody from the brew club asking if I have some Wyeast/Whitelabs <<insert random strain here>>. But on the plus side, I haven't paid for yeast (with the exception of adding to the Zoo) in almost 18 months!
Glad you liked it. There's so much varied info out there on the subject that I thought I'd try to pin down a good all around standard method with some solid data to back it up. As soon as I get the funds, I think I'm going to spring for some plates, stains, a microscope and a hemocytometer. I'm such a data junkie. Plus I have a pretty good spread of older and newer yeast with varied glyercerine percentages now so it will be very interesting to start counting and staining some cells.

So what strains are you having trouble with? That would be good information to keep in mind. Also, what is your current method just out of curiosity and or what method have you had the best results with?

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2012, 01:14 AM   #112
DougMagic
Recipes 

Thanks BBL, this is q great thread. I think I have found my happy medium between slants and washing.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:20 AM   #113
nberk
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

subscribed. nice write up

Old 01-29-2012, 06:51 PM   #114
IsItBeerYet
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

@ Hermit - I will "attempt" to put up a list of what I current have in the zoo. Unfortunately, my list doesn't log failures and much empirical data. Its pretty much just a list of what I have "on tap", ages, and which generation it is.

I can tell you that there are a few that are particular standouts. English Cider yeast is on its second generation with me. I used all of the first generation last summer and it was approximately 1.5 years old when I cracked the last specimen tube. Belgians/French yeasts are very hardy as well. I cracked a vial of Belgian Saison at almost 12 months and it was probably the most vigorous ferment I've had "from the freezer". I haven't had a success yet (but I keep trying ) with the wheat yeasts. My best success story is WY1968 (WLP002), but the other English yeasts are hit or miss. I keep trying London Ale (1028), but can't say I've had much success. On the other hand, I can't kill 1968. Even the last tube I brought out to build up seemed to laugh at me and was actively fermenting 5 HOURS after I retrieved it from the deep freeze. Hmmmm. Good thing I'm a sucker for an ESB, eh?

Old 01-29-2012, 07:02 PM   #115
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
@ Hermit - I will "attempt" to put up a list of what I current have in the zoo. Unfortunately, my list doesn't log failures and much empirical data. Its pretty much just a list of what I have "on tap", ages, and which generation it is.

I can tell you that there are a few that are particular standouts. English Cider yeast is on its second generation with me. I used all of the first generation last summer and it was approximately 1.5 years old when I cracked the last specimen tube. Belgians/French yeasts are very hardy as well. I cracked a vial of Belgian Saison at almost 12 months and it was probably the most vigorous ferment I've had "from the freezer". I haven't had a success yet (but I keep trying ) with the wheat yeasts. My best success story is WY1968 (WLP002), but the other English yeasts are hit or miss. I keep trying London Ale (1028), but can't say I've had much success. On the other hand, I can't kill 1968. Even the last tube I brought out to build up seemed to laugh at me and was actively fermenting 5 HOURS after I retrieved it from the deep freeze. Hmmmm. Good thing I'm a sucker for an ESB, eh?
Hmm, I've sucessfully frozen 1028, in fact I still have one or two jars of it. I stopped using it because I didn't particulary care for it, but I brewed 4 or 5 batches with it out of the freezer.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:11 PM   #116
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:

Thanks. We might want to start logging this kind of info somewhere. I know the site has a WIKI which would probably be the best bet.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:23 PM   #117
IsItBeerYet
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well, I'm not above mentioning that it may well we an ID-10-T error on my part. The last time I tried 1028 was about 12 months ago. I also haven't had much success with Scottish ale yeasts. But I have sharpened my mad yeast-freezing skills, so I may have better success now.

On Tap/bottled: Moo Hoo Chocolate Milk Stout Clone, Scottish Wee Heavy, Biere de Garde, Rye Wine (2013), Trippel w/Brett, Patersbier, Trippel (bottle conditioned), ESB, Wild Flower Mead

Old 01-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #118
IsItBeerYet
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well,

After a failed attempt or two to get the yeast list into HTML format, guess I'll just have to attach it as a screenshot. These are my current working strains.

I do remember that I've tried 1028, 1728, and Brett with no or little success.

@BBL - the older strains aren't as large and contain more glycerin (I started at around a 50/50 mix by volume, and have since gone to a 1/3 glycerin by volume mix with water. As a matter of fact, I have some older tubes that are still liquid in my -20f freezer!) When I started, I got a lot of trub in there as well, but since, I have started washing and now, I put almost 100ml of dense yeast slurry in each 125ml tube. One thing that improved my viability (perceived, I have not tested with empirical tests) is a "cold rest". I let my last yeast step-up sit until fermentation is complete and all the yeast has settled, then put it in the refridgerator for a few days. At this point, I will decant as much wort as I can, mix the yeast slurry and remaing wort, and decant into sterilized tubes. I put the tubes into the fridge to settle, and once the slurry had settled and compacted, I decant the last of the wort and replace it with the glycerin/water mix.

A quick shake to mix the yeast and glycerin mix, then off to the freezer.

I have read some things in "the Yeast book" by Jamil and Chris White that talked about mixing up some fresh wort with the glycerin along with a touch of citric acid and using that as a storage medium, but haven't tried it.

screen-capture.jpg  
On Tap/bottled: Moo Hoo Chocolate Milk Stout Clone, Scottish Wee Heavy, Biere de Garde, Rye Wine (2013), Trippel w/Brett, Patersbier, Trippel (bottle conditioned), ESB, Wild Flower Mead

Old 01-29-2012, 08:19 PM   #119
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Yeah, it looks like the cold rest is vital to increasing viability. I've been doing the quick thaw method with good results as well. Don't know if it is helping viability, but it does cut down on lead time and doesn't seem to hurt anything. I'm also curious about glycerine percentage now since it was mentioned previously that it is cytotoxic and excess amounts could lead to low viability. This is why I just have to get some gear and start running tests myself.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #120
IsItBeerYet
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I believe that I read somewhere that a good "cool" storage alerts the yeast that "hard times are a'comin!" and triggers a glycogen uptake, which would increase long-term viability. Althought I am no bio-chemist. Don't even play one on TV.

I've found that a quick reheat is pretty vital to recoverability of the strain as well. I'll usually give a vial to my wife straight from the freezer, who will warm it up in her pocket for 30 minutes or so. Her contribution to my brewing.....

Quick Reply