Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Do starters really make the beer better?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
dassy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Do starters really make the beer better?

I am wondering if starters actually make better beer or if it may be overrated. If I have a healthy fermentation without a starter, will my results really be that different as with a starter? How does a starter make the beer better exactly? Do most nano/microbreweries use starters?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 10:41 PM   #2
Kokopuff829
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dassy
I am wondering if starters actually make better beer or if it may be overrated. If I have a healthy fermentation without a starter, will my results really be that different as with a starter? How does a starter make the beer better exactly? Do most nano/microbreweries use starters?
It makes the beer better by making more yeast to get the job done faster and easier and prevent off flavors from the stressed yeast. If you want a good healthy fermentation with minimal off flavors then a starter is a must.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:43 PM   #3
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by dassy View Post
I am wondering if starters actually make better beer or if it may be overrated.
The former.

Quote:
If I have a healthy fermentation without a starter, will my results really be that different as with a starter?
Probably not, but your odds of having a healthy fermentation are measurably improved by having a starter.

Quote:
How does a starter make the beer better exactly?
They provide for a healthy fermentation. They ensure that you have enough yeast to do the job without stressing them unnecessarily. They ensure that the majority of the yeast you're pitching are viable, which may not be the case with a straight pitch.

Quote:
Do most nano/microbreweries use starters?
In most cases, commercial breweries are probably repitching from previous batches. They can more easily recover fresh yeast from their fermenters than they typical homebrewer. If they're not doing that, then they're going to either grow up a pitch of yeast from a slant or something, in which case that's essentially their starter, or they're just buying a big enough pitch from the yeast lab in the first place.

Fake it til you make it.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:56 PM   #4
BryceL
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts

I think it's just a matter of pitching enough healthy yeast. I don't think the beer cares how you obtained the correct amount of yeast. If you pitch plenty of yeast from a vial with no starter, your beer will turn out great. A starter is just a good way to ensure you have healthy yeast before you pitch and a way to reach proper pitching rates without having to buy multiple vials. With most of my beers having an OG of at least 1.060, it saves me money making starters rather than pitching 2-3 vials per batch.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:04 PM   #5
KELLEHERC
Recipes 

yes

Old 01-16-2012, 11:13 PM   #6
mux
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I like the fact that I can check the viability of the yeast before I dump it into my wort.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:21 AM   #7
rhern053
Recipes 

try it. you'll notice the difference.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:28 AM   #8
bratrules
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceL View Post
I think it's just a matter of pitching enough healthy yeast. I don't think the beer cares how you obtained the correct amount of yeast. If you pitch plenty of yeast from a vial with no starter, your beer will turn out great. A starter is just a good way to ensure you have healthy yeast before you pitch and a way to reach proper pitching rates without having to buy multiple vials. With most of my beers having an OG of at least 1.060, it saves me money making starters rather than pitching 2-3 vials per batch.
+1 agree 100% you can just pitch 2-3 vials of yeast or 2 packs of dry yeast depending on your S.G. or save money and make a starter.

Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy. - Frank Sinatra

Old 01-17-2012, 01:28 AM   #9
BigRob
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think cell count matters more than anything.

I make a starter from a single vial/smackpack, but use re-pitched washed yeast as per mrmalty for subsequent batches using the same yeast (I tend to make a new batch the day I rack off the cake).

Quick Reply