The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Do I need to add yeast before I bottle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2010, 02:41 PM   #1
Oldyote
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Do I need to add yeast before I bottle

I recently brewed a Belgian Tripel (Extract Brew) from a Northern Brewer kit. The instructions suggest leaving in the secondary 2 months. I just read something about needing to add fresh yeast prior to bottling if leaving in the secondary over 4 weeks, but the instructions from Northern Brewer did not suggest doing this.

I am wondering if I should add fresh yeast prior to bottling and if so how much would I add?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2010, 03:47 PM   #2
marubozo
I can has homebrew?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5366 Times on 5225 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Your mileage may vary, but I've had no problems with a few big beers bulk aging for 3 months before bottling. There was still enough yeast available to do the job. It is true that over time, the yeast compact tightly to the bottom of the vessel and their viability is reduced, but there's no exact cutoff for when this happens and you need to add more yeast to naturally carb in the bottle.

I'd say if you're only going a few months before bottling you should be fine and you can always add some yeast later if you find they aren't carbing up.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:48 PM   #3
pjk49202

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Totally agree w/ marubozo. You don't need to add yeast, but some people do....

Old 07-01-2010, 05:09 PM   #4
whatsleftofyou
Third Eye Pried Wide

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

One of the seminars I attended at NHC was on bottle conditioning. The presenter cited 2 or 3 different Belgian studies that showed a blind taste preference for beers that had yeast added at bottling. She suggested along the lines of 1/4tsp of dry yeast per 5 gallon batch. This surprised me since I was definitely in the camp of "There's enough yeast in suspension, just bottle", but I'll be doing this for all bottle-conditioned beers now.

With all of that said, you could certainly bottle without adding yeast and it will be fine. I've aged beers for several months and bottled with no issues.

On Tap: Orange Chocolate Stout, Belgian Wit, Chocolate Rye Ale, Belgian Singel, American Pale Ale
Bottled: PB&J Sweet Stout, Belgian Saison, Brown Porter

Old 07-01-2010, 05:14 PM   #5
MBasile
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think a big thing to consider is the health of the yeast after fermentation. Whats the alcohol percentage in the beer, where does it lay within the yeast's alcohol tolerance, how well does the specific yeast strain flocculate, did you supply the yeast with enough oxygen and pitch enough for them to ferment unstressed?

Up next: beer
Fermenting: beer
Conditioning: and more beer

Total gallons in 2012: 10

Quick Reply