Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Do I need to add new yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2012, 01:42 PM   #1
SasquatchSmith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Do I need to add new yeast?

So...about a week ago I was planning to brew a pumpkin ale, and I picked up one of those smack packs from Wyeast. I smacked it, intending to brew that day or the next...but as it turned out, I didn't find time until about 4 days later.

So the pack sat in the fridge, completely inflated for a few days...then I pitched it into the oxygenated wart and now, 2 days later, there seems to be absolutely no activity at all.

I've got about 6 batches under my belt and i've used the same dry safale us05 dry yeast for all of them so I have no experience with this kinda. Is it time to panic yet? Can I save this by pitching in a dry packet?

THANKS!

Hops, man......Hops.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 628 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Since you did not make a starter you have not pitched the proper amount of yeast. The yeast will first reproduce to cell counts enough to ferment the beer. So, you may not get signs of fermentation for a few days after pitching.

Did you warm up the yeast before pitching? If not, it might take even longer.

The yeast should be OK, I would wait another couple of days then take a gravity reading to see what is happening before taking any action.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
SasquatchSmith
Recipes 

I didnt warm it up but I did take it out of the fridge for an hour or 2. Thanks for the help, ill give it some time

Hops, man......Hops.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 487 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 212

Quote:
Originally Posted by SasquatchSmith
I didnt warm it up but I did take it out of the fridge for an hour or 2. Thanks for the help, ill give it some time
Could take up to 72 hours. If you are going to continue using liquid yeast then learn how to make starters:

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 09-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
SasquatchSmith
Recipes 

It's cranking along nicely now, thanks for the help!

Hops, man......Hops.

Quick Reply