Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Do i have too much unfermentables?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2009, 08:27 PM   #1
Sniper06
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Do i have too much unfermentables?

I have a beer that seem to be stuck at 1.042. I must admit i underpitched by pulling a couple of samples with my sanitized turkey baster from an actively fermenting culture of Pacman instead of ding a starter. My gut feeling is telling me that i may have a high percentage of unfermentables. I steeped my grains for 30 mins at 155F. But I think I crushed them a bit too much. Will crushing grains too much cause a stuck fermentation due to a high percentage of unfermentables?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2009, 08:31 PM   #2
chefchris
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

No, it wouldn't have anything to do with your grain's crush. I believe your problem is with your yeast.

It's not that you have too many unfermentables, there would still be fermentable sugars in there. Just not enough yeast to "eat" them.

Primary: RIS, Flanders Red, Berliner Weisse

On Tap: Brown Ale, American Stout, Pumpkin Porter, Pale Ale, Uncle Muscle's IPA, Rowsdower Canadian Dry Stout

Bottled: Berliner Weisse

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions

Old 08-08-2009, 11:28 PM   #4
Sniper06
Recipes 

This is the recipe I used:

Batch size is 2.25 gal

2.75 lbs light DME
0.25 lbs Carapils
0.25 lbs Caraaroma
0.05 lbs Roasted Barley
0.50 oz Northeren Brewer for 30 mins

Pacman Yeast from Bottle culture

Measured OG is 1.065 with a refractometer.
Currently sitting on 1.042.

Latest development:
I've read up on restarting. Since I`ve already tried rousing the yeast and moving the vessel to a warmer temperature, I pitched a pack of dry Nottingham.

One thing I failed to do is to rack the beer to another primary and leave the trub behind. Would this be bad for the restart and should I separate the trub from the beer and repitch the Notty

Old 08-08-2009, 11:43 PM   #5
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 453 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper06 View Post
One thing I failed to do is to rack the beer to another primary and leave the trub behind. Would this be bad for the restart and should I separate the trub from the beer and repitch the Notty
This could definitely make matters worse. You don't want to rack your beer until it's done fermenting. That's not just trub down in the cake. It's also a good quantity of live yeast that you would be depriving your beer of. That's why swirling the fermenter to get it back into suspension is a good technique.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 08-09-2009, 10:44 AM   #6
Droot
Recipes 

I don't think racking would have hurt a thing this time since you pitched a new batch of yeast.

Rack beer, pitch yeast....

David

Yellow beer (pale ale) in keg

Chocolate stout In keg

Front Porch Porter in keg

weat beer and fruit in the conical

IPA of some kind on Deck!

I get more out of it when I put more into it. :)

Old 08-09-2009, 03:34 PM   #7
Sniper06
Recipes 

thanks for the replies. I checked the beer and its still stalled. I guess I'm gonna have to rack to another bucket and pitch another pack of Notty.

By the way, this batch has been stuck for about a week now. I started this brew a month ago. It started off good then slowed down when it hit 1.056, then stopped at 1.042.

The beer looks pretty clear now and there is no sign of activity even after pitching the notty. I tasted a sample and it was sweet.

Quick Reply