The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Do I have an Infection?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2010, 02:18 PM   #1
Kaerous
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Do I have an Infection?

I brwed my extract bitter four weeks ago, its still in the fermenter. This is my 4th overall batch, and my 2nd of this kind, so I know what it should look and smell like. About 1 week in I noticed some weird spots floating at the top, it almost looked like a off colored mold. I noticed as well that the krausen didn't look like it did last time - not as big, long lasting, or thick. I smelled the wort probably a week ago and it reeks. It smells like old olive juice or something. I'm suspecting very heavily that I have an infection, but I don't want to dump it all out without being sure. Can anyone give me some info on whats going on here?

Thanks,

- Kyle Grupenhof -

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2010, 02:38 PM   #2
Mountainbeers
Recipes 

Each krausen looks different so that won't really be much of an indicator. If you have a nasty smell that could be bad. Tasting it is going to be your best indicator. Post some pictures!

Never dump your beer!

On Deck: Apfelwein
Fermenting: Oatmeal Stout
Conditioning:
Drinking:

Old 01-23-2010, 02:43 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

More than likely, and without a picture to see it, your "infection" is going to be what 99% of the other new brewer infections tuen out to be. Yeast rafts; little bits of yeast lifted by rising currents of co2 from the trub, that float on the surface of your beer.

They are quite normal.....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-23-2010, 03:07 PM   #4
Kaerous
Recipes 

I remember reading Revvy's post when I first started brewing a while back, but I had since forgotten. Wise words... I'm 98% sure this batch is infected; I just don't think the taste and smell can be done away with.

Here's a pic.

Edit: Ok, the pictures isn't showing up for me. You can access it here instead: Infected Brew

The "spots" on the top were much more dense at the beginning, but have since settled out. I wouldn't even bother you guys with this if I didn't make the same recipe a few months ago and have noticed a lot of difference. This stuff just smells 200% different than my last batch and looks a lot worse.

- Kyle Grupenhof -

Last edited by Kaerous; 01-23-2010 at 04:02 PM.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:04 PM   #5
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2956 Times on 1874 Posts
Likes Given: 2495

Measure the gravity. Infections often take the beer to extreme attenuation. If you are better than 80% attenuated, bad sign. Doesn't look good to me.

Quick Reply