Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Dirty Socks??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 12:21 AM   #31
dogbar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

chanson16, has your beer improved?

I used WY1010 for the first time in awhile recently on a basic wheat beer. Brew day was 40 days ago and I'm still getting a prominent yeast-y flavor. It's not there in the aroma at all, which actually makes this a great beer for someone who likes hops but doesn't drink. Just hold it and smell it.

Anyway, I brewed a couple quick batches after we moved but before I got serious about dealing with our new water. I think the beer might literally just be yeast-y, with low calcium levels causing the issue, especially with a poorly flocculating yeast to begin with. Hopefully some more time at low temps will just keep putting the buggers to sleep.

At any rate, can't help with dirty socks, but maybe that sounds similar to what you had?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 11:20 PM   #32
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 283 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 325

I'm wondering if that smell wasn't some sulfur produced by the yeast during fermentation. That is common with hefeweizen yeasts, but I don't know about american wheat yeasts as I've never used them. It will usually condition out in the fermentor though- if you bottle it with sulfur it will stick around longer.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 12-01-2012, 12:22 AM   #33
chanson16
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

[QUOTE=dogbar;4634070]chanson16, has your beer improved?

Sadly I had to dump my first batch. It seemed to be getting worse over time. It smelled fine but was turning extremely sour. I am chalking it up to an infection at this point. I use onestep and have over 15 batches under my belt using the same process with no problems so I am a little discouraged. I might switch to StarSan on my next batch just to see.

I also wonder if it could be hot side aeration because I poured to my primary at a slightly higher temp than usual because of outside air temp and the wort chiller wouldn't bring it down any lower.

I hope my next batch turns out better.

Quick Reply