Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Dirty Socks??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 12:35 AM   #11
chanson16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The taste is both grainy and astringent (i think). The beer is fairly cloudy but I figured it was the wheat. My mash temp was higher than what I was shooting for (mashed at 156 and didn't really drop for the 60 minute mash). I fly sparged with 175 degree sparge water for 30 minutes.

Would it help to throw some gelatin in the keg to try to drop the yeast out of suspension? Thanks for all your thoughts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 12:40 AM   #12
Brewskii
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 64 Posts

I' m gonna say your hops were oxidized. ( not stored cold and/or in open air. This gives a " cheezey" note that is like Provalone or like foot odor.

I say oxidized hops ... AKA ; cheesy hops

Old 11-08-2012, 12:45 AM   #13
Brewskii
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewskii
I' m gonna say your hops were oxidized. ( not stored cold and/or in open air. This gives a " cheezey" note that is like Provalone or like foot odor.

I say oxidized hops ... AKA ; cheesy hops
BTW... 175 is too hot for sparge... Don't go over 168 or your asking for grainy notes.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:06 AM   #14
chanson16
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewskii View Post
BTW... 175 is too hot for sparge... Don't go over 168 or your asking for grainy notes.
Thanks. I have been thinking about adding a mash out to my process and read that you want to heat the mash up to 170? Would you still sparge with 168?

The Centennial hops that i used were from a previous brew a few months earlier. Had them in the freezer in a small tupperware that has a fairly tight seal.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:10 AM   #15
RmikeVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanson16 View Post
Thanks. I have been thinking about adding a mash out to my process and read that you want to heat the mash up to 170? Would you still sparge with 168?

The Centennial hops that i used were from a previous brew a few months earlier. Had them in the freezer in a small tupperware that has a fairly tight seal.
I think you might have found your problem.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:15 AM   #16
chanson16
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RmikeVT View Post
I think you might have found your problem.
I have stored the same way in the past. I didn't imagine that .33 oz of hops would give such a strong off flavor.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:16 AM   #17
Brewskii
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanson16

I look a it this way... The enzymatic action has done its work so a few extra degrees isn't going to buy you a noticeable increase in extract, but you could notice the flavor change and is it really worth taking the chance?

Judges noted an astringent notes in a few of my beers in different categories when I had a "170 or maybe a few more" attitude in my sparge. I never go above 168 now.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #18
Brewskii
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanson16

I have stored the same way in the past. I didn't imagine that .33 oz of hops would give such a strong off flavor.
Not saying you can't get away with it but do this... Next time you have .33 oz left, put it in your Tupperware and set it in a warm place for a couple weeks . Then smell them every now and then and see if that's not what your getting from your beer..

Hops oxidize rather quickly so it shouldn't take very long at warm temps.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #19
theBFG
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I think I am having the same problem with a beer I just racked to secondary last night. Doesn't really taste bad but the smell was like dirty socks. I keep my hops in airtight mason jars in the freezer. I've only had the hops for a month or so, maybe a little more. Can they still get oxidized in a mason jar in the freezer?

Secondly, I put 3 oz of Citra hops to dry hop. These hops were in their original packaging, whole leaf. Will this mask the smell or is this ruined now?

Old 11-08-2012, 05:33 PM   #20
AmandaK
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Okay. There are a lot of things to address in the above posts that are speculation, bad science and hearsay. I hope to not sound like too much of an a$$, I just want to make sure we are all on the same page.

1) "Old hops"

Quote:
I' m gonna say your hops were oxidized. ( not stored cold and/or in open air. This gives a " cheezey" note that is like Provalone or like foot odor. I say oxidized hops ... AKA ; cheesy hops
Here's the thing, it would take sitting & baking in direct sunlight or a year in a sealed Tupperware container for whole hops to go cheesy and nasty. More time if pellet hops. How do I know? I do this on purpose for my lambics. I have nearly a pound of Tradition whole leaf hops that have been left at room temp in a sealed container for over a year and they've gotten a bit less green, some are yellow-ish, none are cheesy. I baked a half pound of US Goldings in my car over the summer - now those were cheesy! (Whole leaf again.)

I store my bulk pellet hops in the freezer in Ziploc baggies to no ill effects - sometimes for a year. The OP's storage methods are just fine for what he's doing.

2) "Too hot of a sparge"
Quote:
The OP stated he mashed at 156 and did not mention a mash out, meaning that adding 175* water to the mix would result in 167* water (assuming 3.5 gallons strike and 5.5 gallons sparge). So there's that. BUT, even if he did do a mash out to 168* and then added 175* water, the resultant temp would only be 172* (which is the upper limit for a Hochkurz Mash.)

Also, "over-sparging" or sparging at too high of a temperature results in astringency (akin to chewing on grape skins - a prickling in the sides/back of the throat), not a grainy flavor.

All that being said, "dirty socks" is likely an issue with sanitation. Should you watch your sparge temps? Absolutely, but it is not the issue with the dirty socks.

Okay, peace, love & tranquility.
Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider

Quick Reply