Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Did the sun ruin my Weinsteffaner . . ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2010, 03:56 PM   #1
GLoBaLReBeL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Did the sun ruin my Weinsteffaner . . ?

Hello Everyone . .

Well, I think I totally ruined my beer. I bottled it non-the-less, so only time will tell but I'm pretty sure its gone bad. Here's what happened . .

I did a PM of AHS Weihnsteffaner Heff. and I put it in a bucket of water in my family room with a black t-shirt over it with a fan blowing air down onto it. I kept it at around 69-72F for about 42 days in the primary. I thought that since the t-shirt is black, that it would keep all the light from getting into the fermenter.

So, I go to bottle today, and the beer is a dark dark color, and opening up the air lock left me with a non-heff smell. I didn't see any signs of infection at all during the fermentation, and the OG was 1.052 and the FG was 1.010, which was basically RIGHT ON. This beer has very little hops in it, and I remember it being a lot more heff colored. Any ideas as to what happened? Do you think the sun got through the t-shirt and just ruined my beer? Is it infected? I've bottled it last night and am just going to let it sit for a month or two and then crack one open and see how it tastes. I don't remember the Weihn being soo dark, and I may very well be wrong . . . but I would like some input.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2010, 04:10 PM   #2
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

No, the light didn't ruin your beer. The only thing light can do is skunk your beer, and only if it is in clear or light colored glass (specifically green) and you didn't have that issue. Your beer would smell like skunk if it was light struck, but it wouldn't do anything else.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:17 PM   #3
GLoBaLReBeL
Recipes 

It kinda does smell like skunk tho . . . this is just ODD! I'm reading around and my beer should look dark orange-ish. It was in the glass fermenter but it had a black t-shirt around it, but I don't know how well that stopped the light from getting in . . . .

Old 04-23-2010, 04:59 PM   #4
mkling
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The only thing that strikes me is that 42 days in primary is an awfully long time for a hefe. Anyone who has tried to wash & save Bavarian Hefeweizen yeast knows it has a short life & gets nasty pretty quickly. This is one style that really is best at a young, fresh age -- 2 weeks in primary is plenty; you could even do 10 days -- it's not like you care if it's clear -- it's a hefeweizen after all.

Recently Kicked Kegs: Fresh Hop Pale Ale, Citra Rye IPA
On Deck: Old Rasputin, Northstar IPA, Ur-bock Dunkel

Old 04-23-2010, 05:37 PM   #5
jaba
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah, wyeast 3068/wlp300 is a really stinky strain. It produced a ton of sulfur when I used it, and even at bottling it still smelled a bit off. A few weeks in the bottles took care of it though. I wouldn't worry.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:10 PM   #6
GLoBaLReBeL
Recipes 

I'm just afraid because of the color!! What do you think the color change is from? Could it be an infection? I thought this beer was supposed to be a cloudy orange like all other hefe's?

Here's the link to the AHS . .

AHS Weihn. . .

Old 04-23-2010, 06:14 PM   #7
GLoBaLReBeL
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkling View Post
The only thing that strikes me is that 42 days in primary is an awfully long time for a hefe. Anyone who has tried to wash & save Bavarian Hefeweizen yeast knows it has a short life & gets nasty pretty quickly. This is one style that really is best at a young, fresh age -- 2 weeks in primary is plenty; you could even do 10 days -- it's not like you care if it's clear -- it's a hefeweizen after all.
See, I was under the impression that 30 days was fine. This could VERY well be why my beers have been having such a STRONG yeast character to them. I'll be checking out the gravity at 2 weeks from now on, and see how that goes.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:33 PM   #8
mkling
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLoBaLReBeL View Post
See, I was under the impression that 30 days was fine. This could VERY well be why my beers have been having such a STRONG yeast character to them. I'll be checking out the gravity at 2 weeks from now on, and see how that goes.
30 days is great for a lot of beers. In fact, you have less yeast character the longer things go. However, for hefeweizens much of their character comes from the yeast, so you don't want that to settle out/mellow out too much.
Recently Kicked Kegs: Fresh Hop Pale Ale, Citra Rye IPA
On Deck: Old Rasputin, Northstar IPA, Ur-bock Dunkel

Old 04-23-2010, 07:39 PM   #9
GLoBaLReBeL
Recipes 

Well, I am going to begin brewing a Belgian white this weekend. Will be my first all grain with my new setup. I'll be sure to take a gravity reading after two weeks and see where I stand. I'll try bottling sooner this time, and maybe things will turn out better.

If worse comes to worse, and my batch is infected . . . will drinking one to test the taste hurt me in any way? And if it turns out to be good, but might be infected . . . is it worth it to even drink them or should I just toss them all?

Old 04-23-2010, 07:54 PM   #10
Gremlyn
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts

Colour is never the same with bulk beer in a carboy vs in a glass. I'm sure it's fine.

Quick Reply