Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Did not use starter... is it still good?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2013, 05:29 PM   #1
arborman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default Did not use starter... is it still good?

So, I made a 2L yeast starter for a stout that I was going to brew about a week or so ago.. Turns out I could not brew.

So, I took the starter and split it into 4 mason jars and essentially made 4 vials of yeast.. Then, I decanted all the jars, added all the yeast together and topped off with sterile water and put into a sealed mason jar.

My question is, can I now use this larger population of yeast as my pitching yeast directly from the jar, or should I now make another starter with it? Seems like I would overpitch if I made it into another starter....

Not sure if I should just dump this one and make a new one from scratch?

img_0490.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2013, 05:38 PM   #2
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 487 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Assuming it has all been kept in the fridge for the week I would use it without a doubt.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 06-24-2013, 05:41 PM   #3
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I agree, if you stored it in the fridge, I'd just pitch it and go. There is some antidotal evidence that the yeast might be more viable than the yeast calculators have figured. I'm willing to bet you haven't lost to much viablity if it was kept in the fridge.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 342 Times on 298 Posts
Likes Given: 158

You should be good with the time; VERY good infact. And you'll basically be pitching a 2L starter in the next beer you're brewing (if I understood your process correctly: 2L starter, split into 4 containers, decanted and combined back into 1 container)

Old 06-24-2013, 05:55 PM   #5
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 305 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 53

1 week...good to go, if you are paranoid toss it in a small starter to rouse it a bit...but, 1 week I think that is really unnecessary at the homebrew level.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #6
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 610 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

You might be fine, but looking at the layer between the top liquid and the yeast and wondering why you got that with a starter.
Looks like hops, but . . .

Here's one of my recent slurrys rinsed from an IPA. No middle layer, just creamy yeast.
And this is a quart jar compared to what looks like a pint jar that you're using.
Not a lot of yeast there.

pacman.jpg  

Old 06-24-2013, 08:09 PM   #7
arborman
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
You might be fine, but looking at the layer between the top liquid and the yeast and wondering why you got that with a starter.
Looks like hops, but . . .

Here's one of my recent slurrys rinsed from an IPA. No middle layer, just creamy yeast.
And this is a quart jar compared to what looks like a pint jar that you're using.
Not a lot of yeast there.

Wow, thats a lot of yeast in there!

Not sure why I have that trub like layer in my yeast.. The only thing I can think of is that I had issues with my stir plate.. My bar kept getting thrown off, so I had periods where the yeast was not in suspension, and perhaps fermented a bit? I was assuming that layer above the yeast was trub?

At any rate, that is about the amount of yeast I would normally get from a 1/5 liter starter, so its a bit light for a 2 liter starter. But, I am sure that amount equates to at least 3 vials of yeast in terms of volume. From my calculations, there are plenty of cells... I was just unsure if I left it for too long. It was in the refrigerator the whole time as well, but I just pulled it out of the starter wort and put it in sterile water. I think I had it in the starter wort for about one week

Old 06-24-2013, 08:12 PM   #8
Hopper5000
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I would think that layer is the trub from the cold/hot break due to boiling DME...

Quick Reply