Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Did not rehydrate Danstar BRY-97 yeast...am I okay?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 05:49 AM   #1
Topher79
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default Did not rehydrate Danstar BRY-97 yeast...am I okay?

I know, I know...haste makes waste, and I'm afraid that's what I did to 1/3-1/2 of my Danstar BRY-97 yeasties when I forgot to rehydrate them. Here's the numbers:

OG: 1.069
Pitching temp: 72 degrees
Batch size:5.5 gallons
Number of packets used: 2
Time pitched: 10:30 EST

Here's the (2) scenarios I am thinking of:

1) Wait it out

2) Rehydrate my 6 grams of Muntons Active Bewing "Emergency Yeast" that's been in the fridge since August. The best used date on the package is 09-2013

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, if I use the Muntons yeast, will it affect my flavor profile? TRUST ME...this will not happen again!!

I like beer because it's good, I drink beer because I should...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 06:20 AM   #2
mewithstewpid
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 161

Ur fine lots of people don't rehydrate

Old 01-06-2013, 06:29 AM   #3
ShinyBuddha
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You're good. I'm sure they'll be happy little critters.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 371 Times on 302 Posts
Likes Given: 117

You are fine.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #5
Topher79
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks, all. I figured I was worrying over nothing. I haven't used dry yeast in so long, as I always try to get the smack packs, so I forgot to re-hydrate in my haste. I was just wondering if the yeasties would be stressed, and/or that some might die off. Is this the case?

I just checked the carboy and it a very light krausen is begging to form. Are there any down sides to a long lag in fermentation?

Old 01-06-2013, 10:26 PM   #6
E-Mursed
Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 10

You are fine.

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication” – Leonardo da Vinci
"A set back is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently" - Henry Ford

Old 01-07-2013, 01:54 AM   #7
g-star
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher79 View Post
Thanks, all. I figured I was worrying over nothing. I haven't used dry yeast in so long, as I always try to get the smack packs, so I forgot to re-hydrate in my haste. I was just wondering if the yeasties would be stressed, and/or that some might die off. Is this the case?

I just checked the carboy and it a very light krausen is begging to form. Are there any down sides to a long lag in fermentation?
You'll still make beer, not to worry there. However, you are correct in that not re-hydrating is poor practice that will kill up to 1/2 of the yeast cells immediately due to excessive osmotic pressure on the cell walls from the high density wort. If you want to make the best beer possible, re-hydrating dry yeast properly is mandatory.

The possible negatives associated with long lag times are yeast stress from an excessive growth phase, which could lead to off flavors, along with increased time for an infection to take hold before a sach-driven fermentation takes off.

All that said, your beer will probably turn out OK...just not the very best it could be. Lesson learned, we've all been there.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:56 AM   #8
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher79 View Post

No issues with long lag time. Don't freak out as this yeast will have a long lag time regardless of your rehydrating or not.

It'll finish quick but will take a bit longer for the krausen to drop, so just be patient.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 01-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #9
Topher79
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
No issues with long lag time. Don't freak out as this yeast will have a long lag time regardless of your rehydrating or not.

It'll finish quick but will take a bit longer for the krausen to drop, so just be patient.
Thanks for the input, FATC1TY! I literally just found a thread on this yeast this morning and started reading it before work. It does seem like many have had a long lag time before active fermentation with this strain, and that it does finish off quickly.

This was a recipe of Doug's that I had not seen before....Sir Hopsalot...brewed with 6 oz. of Centennial.

I'll definitely be patient, and let it run it's course...one of the many things hombrewing has taught me it patience.

How's the brewing been going? I'm thinking of switching over to all grain the next few months...is the offer to come over and observe a brew day still on the table? I am also thinking of going to HopCity's all grain brewing class. Do you have any experience with it, or know of anyone that has?

Old 01-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #10
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher79

Thanks for the input, FATC1TY! I literally just found a thread on this yeast this morning and started reading it before work. It does seem like many have had a long lag time before active fermentation with this strain, and that it does finish off quickly.

This was a recipe of Doug's that I had not seen before....Sir Hopsalot...brewed with 6 oz. of Centennial.

I'll definitely be patient, and let it run it's course...one of the many things hombrewing has taught me it patience.

How's the brewing been going? I'm thinking of switching over to all grain the next few months...is the offer to come over and observe a brew day still on the table? I am also thinking of going to HopCity's all grain brewing class. Do you have any experience with it, or know of anyone that has?
I have seen that recipe but I have not brewed it. Sounds good. Centennial is a nice hop.

I haven't brewed much, I was up there Saturday milling some grain for a DIPA.

The offer to come over and brew one day is still there. I'm closing on my house around the end of the month so mid feb ill be back up brewing again. Ill message you and we can make something one day for sure. Maybe a saison or something.

I haven't done any classes before. I hear the hopcity ones are good but there homebrew section is kinda small and I don't know how much they offer in terms of homebrew assistance and knowledge. I'm sure it's good though but I haven't done it myself.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Quick Reply