HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Did I munson my yeast starter?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2012, 07:14 PM   #11
PistolsAtDawn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Came in here to say exactly this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhoundbrewing View Post
nice usage of the word munson

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2012, 07:44 PM   #12
laserghost
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

haha!

Old 04-28-2012, 01:20 AM   #13
laserghost
Recipes 

well i could still be a munson. it's been 24 hours now, and there's still a thick head of krausen, but it looks like maybe it's starting to settle??? i thought it was at its peak when i left for work this morning (again, my first starter), but when i came home ~21 hour mark, it was all spewed over and really foamy. a nice yeasty aroma coming off it, but lot's of drippage down the sides.

i'm thinking my starter vessel is too small for my volume, and hoping i'm not losing all my yeast buds.

after this guy's done, should i cold crash, and then pitch to a larger starter, in hopes of gaining some troops back? if so, does the gravity of the wort need to be the same as the first starter's or should that be fine as long as it's similar?

Old 04-28-2012, 02:22 AM   #14
c8h12n4o3

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Made my first starter yesterday also. I also made a weaker starter around 1.020. Started it around 9pm. I never saw any evidence of Krausen, but I did see bubbles in the wort. Wondered if i'd done something wrong. Babied it all day today...shaking it...almost fed it, but i didn't. Brewing tomorrow, a cream ale. I'll decant and pour it in and see what happens. Smells like awesome, so I'm sure it will work, but I had the same thoughts as you.

Jason

Buy a man a beer and he wastes an hour. Teach a man to brew and he wastes a lifetime. - Not Sure.
I don't date girls with less than 10 toes...I'm lack toes intolerant.

Fermenting: Surely Bender, Welches Wine
Secondary: Nada
Drinking: Cream Ale

Old 04-28-2012, 07:07 AM   #15
fredthecat
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 71

these kind of multi-day timing theories are something only a homebrewer can understand

Old 04-28-2012, 02:55 PM   #16
laserghost
Recipes 

yeah, i have no idea what i'm doing, but i'm doing it!

c8h12n4o3 – did you have a bunch of foam over like me?

mine's about 38 hours into the job, and still has some decent krausen, but it's not foaming over any more, and there is a nice milky white layer collected on the bottom.

i should let it ferment out before cold crashing – does that mean when all the krausen has settled?

i guess i need to get a bigger vessel and step this up in a big way, since i seem to have lost a bit of my yeast from the foam overs.

you think going from my 800 mL starter (with some probable loss) to a 2 L step up should work? does the starter wort need to be similar to the last starter?

Quick Reply