Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Did I munson my yeast starter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2012, 04:10 AM   #1
laserghost
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Did I munson my yeast starter?

Hmm ... this is my first attempt at a starter, using one vile of WLP001 (best by 8/4/12). I've read several different instructions on how to do it, and with differing suggestions regarding concentration of DME to use. I think I pitched to a slightly weak wort (intentionally), but am unsure of the exact gravity because I diluted down a smidge from 1.040 just before pitching. I did this based on the recommendations of making a weaker starter on the White Labs site to "activate" the yeast. I added it to 800 mL in a 1 quart jar. Sanitation was pretty good all around, I think.

I pitched it 2 hours ago, and have been swirling it pretty regularly. Based on How to Brew's instructions, it is sitting in the same environment that fermentation will occur at, which is in a water bath and relatively cool temps ~63.

Nothing noticeable is occurring yet, though I realize this is supposed to take about 24 hours, and maybe longer since I have it at a slightly cooler temp.

But here's my main concern ... I wonder if I thermally shocked the yeast by warming it too quickly. I took it out of the fridge and set it on the counter, for a few minutes, then moved it to a warm area, about 85–90 degrees. I pitched it probably within 45 minutes of taking it out of the fridge, to a wort that was chilled to 69.

Do you think I derfed my yeast by warming it too quickly? What else have I done wrong?

Reason: new info

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2012, 04:42 AM   #2
pelipen
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts

I highly doubt you killed it. Most of the time my starters don't really take off in the first day visually, but the second goes nuts, and it's over quick from there. I suspect you'll get activity soon, just keep shaking it, you'll start smelling the gas soon.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
greyhoundbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

nice usage of the word munson

Old 04-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
laserghost
Recipes 

it's alive!! a nice krausen was evident late last night and when i woke up in the middle of the night this morning (pitched it at 9PM last night). this is my first starter.

i'm wondering if i should stick it in the fridge at 9PM tonight, then pull it out in the morning, decant, and pitch another wort to build it up even more for a monday night brew session.

or if i should let it sit another day, and do a 48 hour cold crash for a monday night brew?

Old 04-27-2012, 05:24 PM   #5
jtejedor
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

You don't have to keep the starter at fermentation temperature you can ferment it at 70-75 degrees. As long as the starter is completely fermented out you can throw it in the fridge to crash.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:36 PM   #6
laserghost
Recipes 

okay, good to know. i imagine it won't do any harm, but possibly take longer to do its thing?

my other question is, if i want to step it up. do i need to use a bigger wort than i did initially and pitch this slurry to a bigger container, or can i make another wort the same size as the first, and pitch to the same container the yeast is in now (after i decant).

i am using a 1 quart jar, and did about 800 mL, and i'm brewing a 1.055 OG brew.

or do you think i could just pitch what i have and not worry about stepping up? mr. malty suggested 1.3 L of slurry.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #7
laserghost
Recipes 

i think a found a good answer to my questions here, at post 7

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ques...tarter-287970/

thanks everybody

Old 04-27-2012, 07:55 PM   #8
jtejedor
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Its debatable some people tell you that you need to at least double the size of the starter. Here is a good calculator that includes stepping up the starter. http://yeastcalc.com/

Old 04-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #9
laserghost
Recipes 

thanks for the link, i haven't seen this.

it looks like i could just do another starter the same size (decant, and pitch new wort into the same vessel?) and i'd come out with more than enough yeasties for my brew. too be safe, i could go bigger.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #10
deezy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

+1 for your thread title; Get em Big Ern!

Quick Reply