New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Did I kill my yeast with StarSan?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 01:06 PM   #31
POAS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

OK, here's proof that the StarSan did not kill my yeast. This is a 1 L starter and there appears to be a huge amount of yeast that has settled at the bottom. My plan was to take this up to a 2 L starter, but unfortunately it fermented at about 72 deg. So I'll probably just dump the poor guys down the drain, go get me a couple more packages of the dry lager yeast, rehydrate them and use that for my first Lager beer. I don't want to take any chances (from the high ferm temps, not the sanitizer).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #32
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 545 Times on 358 Posts
Likes Given: 492

What!?! Why would you dump those poor, innocent yeasties?

The fermentation temperature of your starter is far less important than the fermentation temperature of your main wort. The higher fermentation temperature of your starter (although 72 F is not that high at all) may indeed have produced some off-flavors in your starter wort, but who cares? Decant the spent wort and just pitch the actual yeast. You've got a great start on a lager there!

Old 11-23-2012, 01:56 PM   #33
POAS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Really?! Cool, that would save me an hour of driving to get the yeast! Nice. So the yeasties aren't affected by the temp that much? Are they stressed out? Should I bump this up to 2 L, or does that look like enough? I was planning on cold crashing it and dumping the wort and just using the yeast, so maybe I just stick it in the fridge now and when I brew on Sunday, I'll just decant and just use the yeast.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #34
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3446

It really doesn't matter what temp you ferment your starter at. You make a starter to reproduce more yeast, NOT to drink the starter beer. It doesn't matter if the beer on top has off flavors from too high of a fermentation, just decant most or all the liquid off before pitching the yeast.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-23-2012, 04:24 PM   #35
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 545 Times on 358 Posts
Likes Given: 492

For a 5 gallon starter, I would indeed step your starter up to 2L.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:40 PM   #36
JustusLiebig
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvy View Post
it really doesn't matter what temp you ferment your starter at. You make a starter to reproduce more yeast, not to drink the starter beer. It doesn't matter if the beer on top has off flavors from too high of a fermentation, just decant most or all the liquid off before pitching the yeast.
100%

Old 12-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #37
thatshowyougetants
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 79

I know that they say Star San breaks down and becomes something yeast can eat, but what about before it breaks down? I would have thought something with a pH of 3-3.5 would kill yeast on contact.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #38
stpug
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 279 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_c_n View Post
I know that they say Star San breaks down and becomes something yeast can eat, but what about before it breaks down? I would have thought something with a pH of 3-3.5 would kill yeast on contact.
What I've read on these forums is that yeast is (truly) washed using a high acid solution (near 2.2 pH) that kills most wild bugs/bacteria and, although it affects the yeast, leaves it mostly unharmed. Based on this understanding, I would assume a pH of >=3.0 would not be too detrimental to yeast at all considering they can survive for short periods at ~2.2.

I had never heard that yeast eventually use the star san as "food" so that's new to me.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:20 PM   #39
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Yeast likes starsan it breaks down into food for them. Like a yeast energizer. Nothing to worry about.
+1, Although I certainly wouldn't use it instead of DME to make my starter medium!!!

Quick Reply