Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Did I kill my yeast with StarSan?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #21
PowPow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Yeast likes starsan it breaks down into food for them. Like a yeast energizer. Nothing to worry about.
I dont get this.. How can star san be used as a sanitizer, and at the same time work as a yeast energiser?

I mean, if i have some unwanted yeast cells in my carboy, and I star san the carboy. Will that make the yeast grow? I thougt the point was to kill it

Maybe it has something to do with ph? Since the wort has a PH that star san doesn't function in?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #22
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2724 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrewedit View Post
I've been brewing for a while now and only use idophor, mostly because the starsan bubbles gross me out. If its really that harmless though, ill give it a shot.
I still can't figure out why the bubbles freak folks out. The REASON for the bubbles is so the sanitizer can reach into every little crack and crevice in a fermenter, and in hard to reach places such as the top of fluid lines in kegging systems, in every little place inside of a tap system. The foam is our friend.

And it is plain fun...

"Stupid Starsan Tricks" or why you shouldn't fear the foam...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-22-2012, 11:26 PM   #23
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowPow View Post
I dont get this.. How can star san be used as a sanitizer, and at the same time work as a yeast energiser?

I mean, if i have some unwanted yeast cells in my carboy, and I star san the carboy. Will that make the yeast grow? I thougt the point was to kill it

Maybe it has something to do with ph? Since the wort has a PH that star san doesn't function in?
Star san's killing power is based on pH. Properly diulted starsan has a pH around 2.5. As long as its under 3.0, I believe, it is an effective sanitizer. Once you mix it with any appreciative amount of wort, you're well above the kill zone pH.

I did an experiment once, if you mix 4 gallons of typical wort (pH 5.3-5.5 ish) with 1 gallon of starsan, you end up with a pH in the high 4's.

Fake it til you make it.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:00 AM   #24
bobbrewedit
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy

I still can't figure out why the bubbles freak folks out. The REASON for the bubbles is so the sanitizer can reach into every little crack and crevice in a fermenter, and in hard to reach places such as the top of fluid lines in kegging systems, in every little place inside of a tap system. The foam is our friend.

And it is plain fun...

"Stupid Starsan Tricks" or why you shouldn't fear the foam...
The no-rinse thing does it to me. As if there is still this foamy chemical that's going to end up in my beer mug at some point.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:14 AM   #25
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2724 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
The no-rinse thing does it to me. As if there is still this foamy chemical that's going to end up in my beer mug at some point.
No, only in your delusion. Not in our reality. Like I showed you it breaks down into benign chemicals long before it gets to your glass. If you want to continue to act based on such a psychosis, that's your loss. Starsan is an AMAZING product. But just because you choose to believe something silly like that, it doesn't mean it's real. I keep operating under the delusion that 20 something, redheaded Irish strippers will someday call me "daddy," but that doesn't mean it's ever really going to happen. Some people still believe the earth is flat, or smoke, or have sex with prostitutes without condums...that doesn't mean they're right, or particularly smart in the face of evidence to the contrary. Does it? Man up, educate yourself with the information that is READILY available on here from the source, rather than just being ignorant and superstitious, and join the 21st century. MILLIONS of homebrewers use it the proper way everyday, and haven't grown overly large manboobs, or anything else of the sort, or had any other issues. Yon think you're smarter than us or something? Just like Pepsi clear or new coke, if there were problems with it, then do you think we'd still be using it?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-23-2012, 02:29 AM   #26
jakenbacon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 179

+1 Revvy as always. Starsan is simply amazing, I was skeptical of 'the foam' on my first brew, but manned up and have had great beer results, and obviously no sanitation issues.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:01 AM   #27
bobbrewedit
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy

If you want to continue to act based on such a psychosis, that's your loss. Starsan is an AMAZING product. But just because you choose to believe something silly like that

Man up, educate yourself with the information that is READILY available on here from the source, rather than just being ignorant and superstitious,

Yon think you're smarter than us or something?
Good grief...what did I say that deserved all this? Climb down off your soap box man and have another beer. I was merely mentioning why it made me nervous to use Starsan...Man up??? What would you know about "manning up"?

Old 11-23-2012, 06:35 AM   #28
PowPow
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewKnurd View Post
Star san's killing power is based on pH. Properly diulted starsan has a pH around 2.5. As long as its under 3.0, I believe, it is an effective sanitizer. Once you mix it with any appreciative amount of wort, you're well above the kill zone pH.

I did an experiment once, if you mix 4 gallons of typical wort (pH 5.3-5.5 ish) with 1 gallon of starsan, you end up with a pH in the high 4's.
OK, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation!

Old 11-23-2012, 07:04 AM   #29
JustusLiebig
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I made a starter once where I pitched the yeast right into a container heavily foamed with Star San before I added the wort. I was worried about the affect it had on my yeast, but I imagine it quickly raised the pH of the solution to safe levels because that starter ended up blowing the tops off the two carboys it went into.
Just thought I'd share that.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:37 AM   #30
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Good grief...what did I say that deserved all this? Climb down off your soap box man and have another beer. I was merely mentioning why it made me nervous to use Starsan...Man up??? What would you know about "manning up"?
I get the feeling it was meant as a fairly "tongue in cheek" verbal lashing and intended to be taken in a humorous light

Your comments brought a smile to my face too as, for some reason, I had a picture of Charlie Brown in my mind's eye.

Quick Reply