Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Did I kill my yeast with StarSan?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 03:34 PM   #11
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by POAS View Post
Maybe what I should have done is used two packs of dry yeast, rehydrated them and be done.
Yes, this is absolutely what you should have done. Ensure your slurry is within 10 degrees of your wort temperature at pitching

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #12
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
You can buy dry lager yeast? I thought all dry yeast was ale yeast?
Fermentis makes excellent dry lager yeasts. I like W-34/70 the best; it performs very well in a wide variety of lagers and it will ferment slightly cooler than most other lager strains. S-23 is a good warmer-temperature strain; I've used it in Bohemian pilsners fermented both "warmish" (mid-50s) and "cool-ish" (high-40s) and won medals with both, although fermentation was quite slow at the lower temperature and had to be increased to get the beer to reach FG. S-189 is a very nice strain as well; appropriate for maltier lagers. It's generally only available in 500g bricks although American Brewmaster sells re-packaged 11g packets (I bought a dozen about a year and a half ago). The strain performs well; personally I would not bother with it given how readily available W-34/70 is and how well it performs. As an FYI it's the same strain as Wyeast 2124.

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

Old 11-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #13
bobbrewedit
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
Yeast likes starsan it breaks down into food for them. Like a yeast energizer. Nothing to worry about.
I had no idea...learn something new every day I guess. Sounds nasty though. I ran idophor through a filter prior to using it one time and I swore that I could taste it in the beer. You don't think that would have been the case if I would have used Starsan?

Old 11-22-2012, 06:11 PM   #14
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrewedit View Post
I had no idea...learn something new every day I guess. Sounds nasty though. I ran idophor through a filter prior to using it one time and I swore that I could taste it in the beer. You don't think that would have been the case if I would have used Starsan?
This podcast has been posted every time this question comes up, it's all over the place on here, in fact a transcript of it is even stickied at the top of the equipment/sanitiation section of the forum.

Quote:
March 29, 2007 - Sanitizing with Bleach and Star San
Charlie Talley from Five Star Chemicals tells us best practices in using household bleach and Star San in sanitizing equipment.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicb...br03-29-07.mp3
At dilute concentrations, it mostly dissociates, freeing phosphate for yeast to use. Yeast nutrient that you buy in the store is primarily nitrogen compounds and phosphates- the breakdown products of StarSan are phosphates.....they're also the same products we consume daily in many products. If you're drinking Colas, you're drinking some of the same products.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #15
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 240 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrewedit

I drank an ounce of properly diluted star San once. It tasted kinda like very very dilute lemonade. In my opinion, it would take a lot to have any detectable flavor impact.

Fake it til you make it.

Revvy Likes This 
Old 11-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #16
bobbrewedit
Recipes 

Hmmm, very cool. I'll switch to starsan as soon as I run out of idophor. Thank you gentlemen.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:33 PM   #17
mdgagne
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

Starsan is only effective when pH is at or below 3.5. If your pH is 5.0 you're good to go.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:43 PM   #18
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrewedit View Post
Hmmm, very cool. I'll switch to starsan as soon as I run out of idophor. Thank you gentlemen.
You don't have to if you're happy with iodophor. They're both excellent sanitizers, no one is any more or less better than the other. I use them both. Sometimes it's good to change pm to keep any house germs as we call them at bay. Every brewery has their unique "bugs" and just like with pennicilin, sometimes they can get used to what we do. So throwing them a curve ball every now and then isn't a bad idea.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-22-2012, 09:18 PM   #19
bobbrewedit
Recipes 

I've been brewing for a while now and only use idophor, mostly because the starsan bubbles gross me out. If its really that harmless though, ill give it a shot.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:16 PM   #20
jtejedor
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

My lhbs owner told me iodophor starts to break down once the container is opened. Has anyone else heard this?

Quick Reply