The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Did I insult my Wyeast 1214?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2009, 05:22 PM   #1
Judochop
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Did I insult my Wyeast 1214?

Ok, so I brewed a Belgian Dubbel this past Sunday. I used a 1L starter (w/ stir plate) to get my Wyeast 1214 going. And it was going good. From Sunday afternoon through Tuesday night, I had the primary in my guestroom and it was chugging along @ 76-78 degrees per the tape thermometer on the side of the carboy.

I thought to myself (first mistake), “Perhaps that is too warm? Perhaps I am getting more esters than I’d care for? I don’t want it to turn solvent-like. Perhaps I should move it down to the basement, under the stairs, where it can cool down 4-5 degrees?”

So, late Tuesday night I listened to myself (second mistake) and agreed with myself (final mistake) and moved her from the guestroom to the dark, cool space under the basement stairs.

This morning (Wednesday), what was a vigorous ferment the night before is now sitting like a couch potato @ 72 degrees. No activity in the airlock, and that thick, nasty top-fermenting cake is a mere shadow of its former self.

Can this be coincidence? Was she due to stop after two days anyway? Or did I insult my 1214?

I’ve heard that the Belgians in general can be finicky about temp and that if you try to mess with them, they can crash on you. (Why I didn’t listen to that voice instead, only Heaven knows.) But I don’t know if that caution applies to ALL Belgian yeasts, or just particular ones.

Any advice from those who know this particular strain?
Should I move her back upstairs?
Should I swirl?
Should I pitch more yeast? If so, can I go with a clean dry yeast, or should I stick with 1214?
Should I wait?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2009, 05:23 PM   #2
SporkD2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'd give it a few days and I bet you see activity again

Old 09-23-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 466

I think that at that initial temp, you got the bulk of fermentation over with very quickly. My experience with 1214 is that above about 65F, it's a banana bomb.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 09-23-2009, 06:11 PM   #4
lowlife
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
I think that at that initial temp, you got the bulk of fermentation over with very quickly. My experience with 1214 is that above about 65F, it's a banana bomb.
My experience dictates the same. I have used it 4 times. Id ferment as cool as possible. Fermented above 70 it was way too many esters for my liking. Your tastes may be different. I couldn't drink it though. I aged it 9 months and it still tasted too estery for me. It would ferment very fast at those temps, take a reading and see.

Last edited by lowlife; 09-23-2009 at 06:14 PM.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:19 PM   #5
Judochop
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A geniune "thanks" for responding, and a sarcastic "thanks" for some potential bad news.

I'm a bit confused though, because Wyeast labs gives it a comfort range of 68-78 degrees. Why would they say that if it results in putrid beer?

I recognize there may be a natural discrepancy due to personal tastes, but putrid is putrid. I would assume somebody using a Belgian Abbey yeast strain is intending to target a Belgian Abbey flavored beer because they like that taste, and I would also assume that Wyeast would provide a temp range that results in that same level of ester/flavor profile.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:30 PM   #6
lowlife
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 33

1214 is crazy at high temps. My first time I used I thought the same. Hey I like bananna flavor, the directions say ferment high for bananna...so.. It was too much for me. Take a hydo reading, hopefully it turns out ok. My neighbors couldnt taste bannana and drank it. I couldnt handle it personally.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:35 PM   #7
Judochop
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok, so now I'm thinking maybe I was right to get it down to 72 degrees. But I'm still in the predicament of a (possibly) stuck fermentation.

I'll take a reading tonight and wait it out to next week before I take another to see if there's any progress. However, if I find that I am truly 'stuck', would what folks recommend?

Should I up the temp and swirl to wake up the yeast?
Should I pitch more yeast? If so, can I go with a clean dry yeast, or should I stick with 1214?

Old 09-23-2009, 07:26 PM   #8
Denny
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judochop View Post
I'm a bit confused though, because Wyeast labs gives it a comfort range of 68-78 degrees. Why would they say that if it results in putrid beer?

I recognize there may be a natural discrepancy due to personal tastes, but putrid is putrid. I would assume somebody using a Belgian Abbey yeast strain is intending to target a Belgian Abbey flavored beer because they like that taste, and I would also assume that Wyeast would provide a temp range that results in that same level of ester/flavor profile.
In general, both Wyeast and White give temp recommendations that are way higher than most people find good. I feel that a lot of their recommendations are based more on getting good yeast performance than good beer flavor. And I say that in spite of my relationship with Wyeast.

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 09-23-2009, 07:28 PM   #9
Denny
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judochop View Post
Ok, so now I'm thinking maybe I was right to get it down to 72 degrees. But I'm still in the predicament of a (possibly) stuck fermentation.

I'll take a reading tonight and wait it out to next week before I take another to see if there's any progress. However, if I find that I am truly 'stuck', would what folks recommend?

Should I up the temp and swirl to wake up the yeast?
Don't assume you have a stuck fermentation until you take a gravity reading. A 1L starter is on the small side so it may take a while to ferment out. It's been less than a week, so I really think you're jumping the gun.

www.dennybrew.com

Old 09-23-2009, 07:38 PM   #10
Judochop
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Okeedokee. I'll give it a couple weeks and will report back if there's been no progress.

I'm concerned that I shocked my yeast into permanent hibernation only because I've read that Belgian yeasts tend to react that way to sudden cooler temps. If this was an English strain, I'd not have even mentioned it.

Thanks.

Quick Reply