Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Diacetyl rest for my first Lager

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2010, 12:59 PM   #1
DanPoch
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Diacetyl rest for my first Lager

I took the plunge and moved to all-grain and did my first lager at the same time. I know, I know, I'm changing to many things at once, but it's more fun this way.

Anyway I'm making a black lager which started at 1.063 2 weeks ago.
Last night it was 1.022. BeerSmith predicted 1.020 for a FG.

I brought this up from my basement where it had been going at about 53F and put it in a small room with a constant ambient temp of 65F.

Now for my questions.
1) am I too late for the Diacetyl rest that I've been reading about?

2) the beer is very sharp at this time. I know I've had plenty of ales that have mellowed and I'm presuming that the lager will too, right?

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can offer.

"I'd rather be happy than right, any day."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Don't feel bad... I never brewed in my life and my first beer was a 10 gallon batch of an all-grain lager of my own recipe. (Turned out alright!)

You're pretty much too late for the D-Rest, but you may have not needed it in the first place. By your description of the beer as "sharp", it doesn't sound like the description of a beer with diacetyl. Unless you had a bad diacetyl taste, I wouldn't recommend trying to do anything about diacetyl at this point.

But bringing the beer up in temp at the end can't hurt it... it may help you squeeze out a few more points of SG.

The sharpness will mellow with lagering. You should lager this beer for a good 8 weeks.

END TRANSMISSION

dscotta Likes This 
Old 02-18-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
dale1038
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPoch View Post
I took the plunge and moved to all-grain and did my first lager at the same time. I know, I know, I'm changing to many things at once, but it's more fun this way.

Anyway I'm making a black lager which started at 1.063 2 weeks ago.
Last night it was 1.022. BeerSmith predicted 1.020 for a FG.

I brought this up from my basement where it had been going at about 53F and put it in a small room with a constant ambient temp of 65F.

Now for my questions.
1) am I too late for the Diacetyl rest that I've been reading about?

2) the beer is very sharp at this time. I know I've had plenty of ales that have mellowed and I'm presuming that the lager will too, right?

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can offer.
You're fine. Unless you're beer tastes like buttered popcorn you will be ok. Moving it was fine...you may get some cleanup going. Sometimes I just think the agitation of moving it helps as much as the temp change.

Patience is the key with lagers. I hated the vienna I did for about 2 months. It was watery and tasteless. Then at about 10 weeks, bam...all the flavors came out. It's still not a great lager, but pretty drinkable. Good luck.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:33 PM   #4
DanPoch

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks guys

No buttery tastes at all. It had a hint of maltiness after the sharpness dissipated. I'm hoping that that will stand out more after two or three months of aging.

My plan is to lager it in a bucket of ice water for at least 2 months (more if changing the 1L ice bottles doesn't drive me crazy). I may end up getting a freezer chest before the end of this.

I've always used a secondary for my ales letting them sit for a month before bottling, so the extra month for a lager isn't too bad. Never had a cold enough basement before to try a lager.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:21 AM   #5
DanPoch

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Just an update here, I kegged this lager a few weeks back and tapped into it last week.

Wow, nice and smooth, with just the right amount of malt flavor and a nice creamy head.

Thanks for all the help from my HBT forum friends My first AG was a smashing success!

Old 05-12-2010, 01:56 PM   #6
dale1038
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Congrats! It's always nice to make good beer when you put in a lot of time and effort. Happy brewing!

Old 05-12-2010, 02:02 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4343 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 845

That's great to hear! There is nothing like producing a fine lager to make yourself feel proud. Good job.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:36 PM   #8
Mateo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For future reference, there is a trick to fixed a missed D-Rest. You can add a quart of wort with fresh pitched yeast. Once the wort/re-starter hits high krausen add it to the fermented beer. The yeast will clean up what ever is in there, principally feasting on the diacetyl.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:36 PM   #9
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 169 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
For future reference, there is a trick to fixed a missed D-Rest. You can add a quart of wort with fresh pitched yeast. Once the wort/re-starter hits high krausen add it to the fermented beer. The yeast will clean up what ever is in there, principally feasting on the diacetyl.
Awesome. I just tried an Oktoberfest that I thought I had performed a good D-rest on at the three week mark. Now, after it's been lagering for over two months the buttered popcorn flavor is overwhelming. A few weeks ago I couldn't taste any buttered popcorn, but now it's there. I'm planning to bring this beer to a family reunion in June.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:46 PM   #10
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameface View Post
Awesome. I just tried an Oktoberfest that I thought I had performed a good D-rest on at the three week mark. Now, after it's been lagering for over two months the buttered popcorn flavor is overwhelming. A few weeks ago I couldn't taste any buttered popcorn, but now it's there. I'm planning to bring this beer to a family reunion in June.
Diacetyl can develop after the diacetyl rest, too... from infection or from oxygenation at transfer (splashing).

END TRANSMISSION

Quick Reply