Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Diacetyl Reduction (alpha-acetolactate decarboxylase)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2009, 09:09 PM   #1
lamarguy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Diacetyl Reduction (alpha-acetolactate decarboxylase)

Background: It's the age old problem - how to reduce or eliminate diacetyl in beer...There's a new product on the market (ALDC enzyme) that actively converts the precursor to diacetyl into a high-threshold flavor compound. This effectively eliminates the need for a "diacetyl rest" and reduces the conditioning time since the yeast don't need to later convert the diacetyl themselves.

Problem: No one seems to carry it in the US. AHS used to carry it, but no longer does.

Proposal: Group buy on ALDC direct from the Chinese manufacturer. I contacted the biochem group and they offered a free 2 kg sample, but we would need to pay the FedEx shipping ($60). Besides, 2 kg would last me a lifetime and the shelf life is only one year (refrigerated).

Is there any interest?

Before someone says it, I realize there are existing methods for reducing diacetyl in beer - diacetyl rest, cold pitching (e.g. 45F), high pitch rate, etc. This discussion is about eliminating the formation of diacetyl altogether.

Planned: Lambic, American IPA
Fermenting: 6 gals of 1.090 stout (Belgian) & 6 gals of 1.090 stout (English)
Tapped: Berliner Weisse, Black English IPA, German Pils, & Live Oak Primus

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2009, 03:56 PM   #2
lamarguy
Recipes 

Hmmmm....Nada...

Old 10-23-2009, 04:10 PM   #3
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

For $5 or so I would give it a try, but that seems like a bit much to pay for something that really isn't a huge problem for homebrewers. I'm never in a big rush to move stuff out of my fermenters, unlike a pro who has to keep moving product.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:53 PM   #4
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

No. I have no interest in that. I just use yeast to get rid of unwanted diacetyl, and I'm gonna dance with the one brung me.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 10-23-2009, 09:02 PM   #5
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I concur with Tex. I reduce diacetyl the old-fashioned way: by brewing, not fiddling with enzymes and chemicals.

If brewing chemistry floats your boat, by all means have fun. But realize that this stuff is developed for humongous commercial beer factories to reduce tank time and make more money.

I'd rather practice my craft than put an additive into my beer that doesn't eliminate the brewing-technique problems of diacetyl-precursor formation. Indeed, from your description it sounds like the product just masks the problem, simply raising the concentration threshold above what is required for humans to detect.

So yeah, old-fart brewers probably aren't going to buy in.

Cheers,

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 10-23-2009, 09:17 PM   #6
lamarguy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NQ3X View Post
I'd rather practice my craft than put an additive into my beer that doesn't eliminate the brewing-technique problems of diacetyl-precursor formation. Indeed, from your description it sounds like the product just masks the problem, simply raising the concentration threshold above what is required for humans to detect.
Thanks for the comments. One correction - all beers produce diacetyl during fermentation, this enzyme is just a slick method for rapidly accelerating the conditioning process since there will be a significantly reduced amount of yeast by-product to be "consumed".

Quick Reply