Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Denny's fav 50 "house strain"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
ronjonacron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Default Denny's fav 50 "house strain"

So ive done two brews with this strain now and im very impressed. I prefer a strong malt backbone even in my pale ales. This yeast is excellent, and at 65 degrees is exactly what im looking for.

Is there anyone who is using this for several different brews? American ale, ambers, pales... just curious what others are doing and your experiences.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2013, 11:34 PM   #2
Pratzie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Plan on using it with the Deception Cream Stout recipe which is what it calls for. I like more malt forward brews so im sure i'm going to use it more often in the futue as well.

Denny is a member here, maybe he'll poke his head in and share what his favorite recipes with it are.

Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

Old 08-05-2013, 11:39 PM   #3
negativereaction
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I just threw it into a Racer 5-ish IPA clone on Sunday. A wee bit slow to start, but it's doing a great job right now, without being out of control with krausen. My first time using the yeast, but I want a more malty flavor out of some beers, and might continue to culture this for future brews if this turns out.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:58 PM   #4
craigger64
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Denny's Favorite has also become MY favorite! I fermented 4 of my last 5 brews with this very versatile strain......Denny's Rye IPA, Denny's Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, and my Black IPA. It was amazing in all of them!

Old 08-06-2013, 12:25 AM   #5
ronjonacron
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Glad to hear its not just me. While i love my hoppy beers, i like all of my brews to have that strong malt backbone, will likely be using this pretty much exclusively with the exception of belgians and those requiring special strains. I have a Belgian up next using the forbidden fruit strain and after that I'll definitely be doing something with the Dennys favorite.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:31 AM   #6
TrustyOlJohnson
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 103 Posts

I use Dennys in a batch of Loon Lake Smoked porter. Washed it. Then I built a 4 liter started out of two of the 4 washed jars and pitched it into and Imperial Cherry Chocolate stout. Its been goin like a freight train for 9 days now. Shud be about 9% ABV when done. It did a great job in the smoke porter

Old 08-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #7
EarlyAmateurZymurgist
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Denny's Favorite 50 "House Strain" is the old Brewtek CL-50 California Brewpub strain that used by available on slant back in the nineties. It came from the Mendocino Brewing company. I had CL-50 strain in my bank for years. It's a good strain, but I preferred the taste of Brewtek CL-170 Classic British Ale, which was plated from a sample taken at Young's Brewery in London. The currently available Young's strains do not perform like CL-170. Young beer fermented with CL-170 had a lollipop-like fruitiness to it. CL-170 is the perfect "real ale" yeast.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

I've used it for many beer styles, and it's still a house favorite of mine. One of the things I love about it is when I use it in my oatmeal stout recipe, it gives a really "luscious" mouthfeel. It's rich, and full, but not sweet or underattenuated. It's great in that beer.

I've also used it in many other styles, from IPAs to American brown ales, and really like it there, too.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:17 PM   #9
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 438 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 531

Obviously, I use it for my Rye IPA recipe. But I also use it for most American styles. It's goes in BVIP, pale ales, porters, and my Noti Brown ale, an American brown. I've heard of people using it for blonde ales and even alt.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 08-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #10
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 770 Times on 543 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I used it in Yooper's hoppy American Amber, which was awesome. Then I used it again in a split batch of oatmeal stout - half of it got bottle-harvested Bell's yeast and the other got the 1450. The 1450 half had a much maltier, bready and roastier flavor than the Bell's half, which was quite sweet.

Quick Reply